Corrosion

jhardway

Like Bart I was just thinking I would post this,

Over the two and a half years I have been building these copter, one thing I have not seen much mentioned about, is corrosion. I think its a subject worth a post mainly because it happens and I think it happen more then we know, or people think.

Over the past few years I have built now 5 copter, and I find myself working on them everyday. Ever since I made the jump into the 4s and above batteries, to my surprise I have found some type of corrosion through out my systems from one time or another.

Most of the corrosion I have been finding have been in the connectionr of the batteries or the esc's bullet connectors.

It happened to me yesterday, at the initial startup as I was increasing the power to my copter, all the motor took a hicup at the same time. I shut down the copter and since it was all the motors, I knew it was somewhere in power initiation area. I started with the battery's connector and found some corrosion up in the plug. It was not much at all but it was there. I then plugged in the battery and flew the copter for two flights. I have found in the past if there is corrosion and you see some odd behavior. Most times as you add power, the current will find a way around the corroded area and be fine, for a while

Corrosion can happen for a many reasons, but a few stand out, moisture, arching that happens when connecting the connectors together (a deans or EC5 plugs) , third is just miscellaneous oils, dust, and residues that are on the connectors

Moisture is most common cause in our case, because as we draw from the batteries the connector will heat up, and then when its over the connector cool down, the cooling down can cause condensation ie moisture and that will become Corrosion.

I just mention this because I thought is an important topic and to remind all to keep an eye on your connectors from time to time, take them apart and visually check to see if they all looks clean.

After my hicup yesterday I went out and got some electronic cleaning spray, and CRC Marine Electronic Grease. The grease is made for this stuff and will help seal all your connectors, I have not really thought about it before but using the gel on the high end Sailboats like the current America's Cup boats we have seen good result.

So do not forget to thoroughly keep an eye on you electrical contact points.

best wishes all

ChrisViperM

Great write-up about an often neglected topic.....The main reason for corrosion on thos Lipo connectors is the sparks you get when connecting the Lipo's to the system. The capacitors on the ESC's get loaded and creat heavy sparks at the connectors. All Lipo connectors are gold plated and that would easily prevent corrosion, but the sparks eat up the gold plating and the bare metal gets exposed to moisture which will make things even worse......result is loosing power or even power cut-off......there is a lot of reading how to tackle sparking on Google. Just can't copy/past links with my tablet, but Google for " Lipo anti spark ".....

Chris

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
The grease really works. I use dielectric grease on all of my connectors including the scale trucks I send swimming alot and no corrosion to date.

CdA D

After reading this thread I E-mailed "Thunder Power Batteries" and asked them what they recommend, because this has been a concern of mine also. They responded with: http://www.espritmodel.com/connectors-adapters-harnesses.aspx?page2 Hope this helps. I did place and order.