Considering getting DX18, what other options should I consider?

Earp

I want to get a good radio that I won't need/want to upgrade in the future. I am planning on getting a tarot FY680/690, pixhawk w/ GPS, FPV camera on 1/2 axis gimbal, Sony Nex 5T on a two axis gimbal, and a camera switch, OSD. After that I plan to build a larger SLR platform, and eventually a fixed wing camera platform.

What does the DX18 have over other options like the FrSky Taranis? I have used spektrum controllers for my ground vehicles and really like the brand, and have bad luck with cheap chinese controllers. But the $799 price tag is a little hard to swallow, but do able if it would be best.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I think the DX18 is a great buy. Lots of channels and great customer service for Spektrum products. I say go for it! (buy cheap, buy twice)

plingboot

If you're looking for an alternative then i can highly recommend the Jeti DS-16, but it is more expensive.

On the up side the build of the radio is like nothing you'll have seen before - machined from aluminium alloy, hall effect gimbals, accelerometers and massive amounts of configurability for the whole system - far to much to begin to list, but so far i've found nothing which it can't do (multiple receivers, channel assignments, alerts, timers, tilt the radio to trigger events etc). The duplex receivers send telemetry info back to the radio - which can be set up with voice alerts. There's also a good range of telemetry sensors which plug directly into the receiver and they 'just work'.

If however you're stuck on the DX18, then i can also vouch for Horizon Hobby's after sales - they've always been very helpful with the DX8 i also own.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I have a DX18 and the Jeti- if you can afford the Jeti then it is absolutely the one to go for. But at twice the price this might be a mute point. The DX18 is excellent and I will also vouch for Horizon Hobby support. I broke my DX18 in an accident and it was turned around very quickly at minimal expense. Im not sure what the Futaba version of the DX18 is but that would be worth looking at too.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have both DX18 and 14SG, I use my DX18 for flying helis and planes and 14SG for MR's, the 14SG is far better suited to MR use.

If you do not want to spend up big then look for a Futaba T8FG or T8FG Super used, best bang for buck out there, almost everything the 14SG can do but less than half the price used.

Pete

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
What I would really recommend if you can, is to try and get a hold of each of the transmitters you are considering. Make sure it is comfortable in your hands and you like the way it all works. The ergonomics are a pretty key part of any transmitter and it doesn't matter how loudly we shout about this one being better than that one, ergonomics are an entirely personal thing.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Ergonomics are for nothing if you can't set your transmitter up with the functions you need, any of the modern Tx'ers are pretty good ergonomically and will be fine for most users unless they have some very special requirements, that said I prefer my DX18 slightly ahead of my 14SG even though I slightly prefer the gimbals on the 14SG, just a touch smoother.

Pete

plingboot

I know i was banging on about the Jeti DS-16, but if price is a consideration you might want to look at the FrSky Taranis - which is a shed load less costly than any of the above.

I was looking at a review by RCModelReviews on Youtube and it seems to be very well featured - with a built in 2.4gHz transmitter and a JR compatible plug-in module on the back - so you could run the new EzUHF module in there. The software is open source with good support and by the reviewers' account the 2.4gHz range is pretty robust.

It also looks like the standard receiver can output futaba sbus ppm.

Last edited by a moderator: