Connex HD Video Downlink Impressions and Review.

Vermiform

FINALLY got ours a quick test! I mounted the Connex on my Tarot FY650 with a GoPro3 and went out to a local park. I got everything set up and working, and went out as far as I dared line of sight (that little Tarot gets small fast). The OSD on the Connex showed 200 meters when I stopped... no problems at all. Then I realized I was standing in front of the antenna, which made me even happier (it was right next to my car).

For a first test, I'm calling it a win. I didn't fly for long, but I didn't see any appreciable lag either. No loss of connection. I'll feel a LOT better flying part of a $1,600 setup than an $8,000 setup like before, not to mention the air unit is half the weight of the Bolt 2000!!

Does anyone have any idea of the air unit current draw? Need to get an idea of what size battery to use to power the GH4 + Connex. I'll test it myself eventually but a starting point would be nice.

Now to just figure out a better antenna solution! :)

Will a tarot FY650 tote a GH4?

FINALLY got ours a quick test! I mounted the Connex on my Tarot FY650 with a GoPro3 and went out to a local park. I got everything set up and working, and went out as far as I dared line of sight (that little Tarot gets small fast). The OSD on the Connex showed 200 meters when I stopped... no problems at all. Then I realized I was standing in front of the antenna, which made me even happier (it was right next to my car).

For a first test, I'm calling it a win. I didn't fly for long, but I didn't see any appreciable lag either. No loss of connection. I'll feel a LOT better flying part of a $1,600 setup than an $8,000 setup like before, not to mention the air unit is half the weight of the Bolt 2000!!

Does anyone have any idea of the air unit current draw? Need to get an idea of what size battery to use to power the GH4 + Connex. I'll test it myself eventually but a starting point would be nice.

Now to just figure out a better antenna solution! :)
Hi,

CONNEX Air unit consumes 5W, while the Ground unit consumes 6W. You can also refer to the following article on the CONNEX support center:
https://connexuav.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204714495-How-long-does-the-battery-last-

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Thanks Shahar!

Will a tarot FY650 tote a GH4?

Er... I'm sure it could lift it, briefly, but doubtful if it was mounted on a gimbal. I get about 10-11 minutes of flight time with a DJI H3-3D, it's really made for small cameras.

The 810 or X6 would probably be closer but I don't have personal experience with either (yet).

Vermiform

Er... I'm sure it could lift it, briefly, but doubtful if it was mounted on a gimbal. I get about 10-11 minutes of flight time with a DJI H3-3D, it's really made for small cameras.

The 810 or X6 would probably be closer but I don't have personal experience with either (yet).

Got it. Totally misread your post and thought that's what your were attempting to do next.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Got it. Totally misread your post and thought that's what your were attempting to do next.

Oops, I just realized how that could be misconstrued... I probably mentioned the heavy lifter setups in previous posts but didn't reference them. Sorry about that!

PMaughan

How have people been getting on with this over water? I tested today and rock solid at 500m with no break up but had real problems over a canal where I had total loss of signal at 120m.

How have people been getting on with this over water? I tested today and rock solid at 500m with no break up but had real problems over a canal where I had total loss of signal at 120m.
Hi,

The range issue is unlikely o be related to the water. Did you change anything in the installation or configuration?
Position of the Air unit?
another device working on the 5GHz band, or change a device's frequency?