Connex HD Video Downlink Impressions and Review.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey guys, well after I saw this thing, I had to have one. From the word on the street this unit is working well and I needed some decent long distance HD signal so I jumped in. My unit arrived yesterday and decided I'll share my thoughts.

First off I know MRF has a "no unboxing" policy for reviews and such, but this box deserves attention. I'm not talking about the outer shipping box, but the box that holds the unit. It is a masterpiece of design and would make Steve Jobs really upset Apple did not design it. It's truly a work of art. Also the Connex is a very complete system. You get EVERYTHING you may need. Tons of cables, plugs, HDMI cables it's all in there.
Also the unit itself is high quality. These feel "pro" and you don;t feel at all that the price doesn't fit the unit. Hopefully the performance will match! Really getting excited! I'm going to strap this to my "test rig" vulcan and see if I can't really get it out there at a huge field, as always I'll record it all and give my thoughts. If the weather cooperates I hope to have this complete by the weekend.

So before I start the review this week, let's check out this awesome box, seriously a design masterpiece.

Attachments

• SEC_0013.JPG
    SEC_0013.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 281
  • SEC_0014.JPG
    SEC_0014.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 292
  • SEC_0015.JPG
    SEC_0015.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 585
  • SEC_0016.JPG
    SEC_0016.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 438
  • SEC_0017.JPG
    SEC_0017.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 455
  • SEC_0018.JPG
    SEC_0018.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 248
  • SEC_0019.JPG
    SEC_0019.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 245
  • SEC_0020.JPG
    SEC_0020.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 264
  • SEC_0021.JPG
    SEC_0021.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 234
  • SEC_0022.JPG
    SEC_0022.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 278
  • SEC_0023.JPG
    SEC_0023.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 248
  • SEC_0024.JPG
    SEC_0024.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 265
  • SEC_0025.JPG
    SEC_0025.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 235
  • SEC_0026.JPG
    SEC_0026.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 248
  • SEC_0027.JPG
    SEC_0027.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 252
  • SEC_0028.JPG
    SEC_0028.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 253
  • SEC_0029.JPG
    SEC_0029.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 428
  • SEC_0030.JPG
    SEC_0030.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 406
  • SEC_0031.JPG
    SEC_0031.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 350
  • SEC_0032.JPG
    SEC_0032.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 281

Stratifier

I received mine yesterday, I installed the Air Unit under the battery, (S900) as they show on their video, that looks ok, and the the battery can go in and out as usual. Will share my impressions too. :)

ricardo

I had a problem with the cable that connects the air unit with my gh4, it didn't fit in my zenmuse, the connector is too big and hits the tilt motor, Amimon people are aware of the problem but offers no solution. "slice the connector" they said, or contact your re-seller. Really disappointed with such a nice hd system.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I had a problem with the cable that connects the air unit with my gh4, it didn't fit in my zenmuse, the connector is too big and hits the tilt motor, Amimon people are aware of the problem but offers no solution. "slice the connector" they said, or contact your re-seller. Really disappointed with such a nice hd system.

There is no way a company can accommodate every gimbals proportions with one or two cables. And I also have a Zenmuse and the gimbals close dimensions are a challenge for almost all HDMI cables. That's actually a bad design on DJI's part.

You can find a cable that fits your purpose better at many locations. In fact, you can design and build an ultra thin HDMI cable right HERE

ricardo

There is no way a company can accommodate every gimbals proportions with one or two cables. And I also have a Zenmuse and the gimbals close dimensions are a challenge for almost all HDMI cables. That's actually a bad design on DJI's part.

You can find a cable that fits your purpose better at many locations. In fact, you can design and build an ultra thin HDMI cable right HERE

the thing is that Connex tutorial video uses a zenmuse+gh4, but the truth is that the cable included doesn't fit.
And when you live far away from dealers to buy a simple hdmi cable could take 2 or 3 weeks. Is better to know in advance this little details.
best.
r

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
the thing is that Connex tutorial video uses a zenmuse+gh4, but the truth is that the cable included doesn't fit.
And when you live far away from dealers to buy a simple hdmi cable could take 2 or 3 weeks. Is better to know in advance this little details.
best.
r

I can see that now, Uruguay... yea, that's not a day away from most suppliers!

Stratifier

Hi Ricardo, as said, just take a cutter knife and gently (very gently) shave it until it passes without touching the gimbal. it's a pain to have to do that but it seems to be the quickest solution. I did it on mine, it's just fine. Then you can concentrate on the next problem... Initialisation of the gimbal and being careful with the cable wrapping itself around it when you move the camera... Amimon and some others are working on a solution but no news so far.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Finished the New X8 today, waiting on a plate to mount my gimbal and I'll be back on this... But since then I have used the Connex several times on a different rig and it has been flawless...

Hi,

I think you all know me by now, still as this is my first time in this discussion, I'm working for AMIMON's Customer Support team.

About the HDMI cable, we've realized that one of the most common integration is with the GH4, and we've found a cable that fits well into the Z15 GH4 gimbal. You should be able to get it from your re-seller, but if there is any issue with this, please send me a private message and I'm sure we'll be able to find a solution.

About the mounting option on the z15 GH4, there are already solutions in the market enabling to mount CONNEX on the back side of the gimbal. You can check out both DSLR Pros and E-copter.
https://connexuav.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204438969-DSLRPro-Integrated-on-Z15-Gimbal
https://www.facebook.com/ecopterfr/...0.1435560756./713783842065833/?type=1&theater

AMIMON is also working on its own solution, and it will be available soon.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Had a great chat with Shahar today ref my Connex. Great to see a company offering great customer support on these forums. Very understanding, patient and helpful. Thanks Shahar.

Had a great chat with Shahar today ref my Connex. Great to see a company offering great customer support on these forums. Very understanding, patient and helpful. Thanks Shahar.
My pleasure! It's important for us to have close connections with our customers, to better understand the needs, requirements and concerns.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
My tests have been delayed because my field is flooded, and the other local field doesn't have power for plugging in my small TV (which I need since I don't have an HD monitor handy, my camera guy has them on another job).

After a few weeks of this, I just realized that my laptop not only has an HDMI output, but also an HDMI INPUT. I could have tested it long ago. Guess I'll head to the nearby schoolyard soon.

/facepalm

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The weather here in Ohio has been awful as well. We are almost in July and usually that means sun everyday, hot humid weather and low winds, so far this year it's been 30 mph winds, rain everyday and cold temps... IT SUCKS.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
The weather here in Ohio has been awful as well. We are almost in July and usually that means sun everyday, hot humid weather and low winds, so far this year it's been 30 mph winds, rain everyday and cold temps... IT SUCKS.

Ironically enough, our float fly was rained out... and now the lake is TOO full to have it.

The lake was about 16' low at the first of the year. We had a massive amount of rain and now the lake is 25 feet OVER (maxed around 28 feet over). A few days ago we could have had the float fly on our actual runway!

But, the power is turned off and we're not allowed into the park at the moment. It suuuuuuucks, my thumbs are twitchy....

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
FINALLY got ours a quick test! I mounted the Connex on my Tarot FY650 with a GoPro3 and went out to a local park. I got everything set up and working, and went out as far as I dared line of sight (that little Tarot gets small fast). The OSD on the Connex showed 200 meters when I stopped... no problems at all. Then I realized I was standing in front of the antenna, which made me even happier (it was right next to my car).

For a first test, I'm calling it a win. I didn't fly for long, but I didn't see any appreciable lag either. No loss of connection. I'll feel a LOT better flying part of a $1,600 setup than an $8,000 setup like before, not to mention the air unit is half the weight of the Bolt 2000!!

Does anyone have any idea of the air unit current draw? Need to get an idea of what size battery to use to power the GH4 + Connex. I'll test it myself eventually but a starting point would be nice.

Now to just figure out a better antenna solution! :)