Configuring Wookong M (newbie)

dakota77

Hello,

On a Quad X, I would like to replace a FC Multiwii Mega by a Wookong M.
The problem is that the motors do not start.

The wiring of Wookong modules seems ok.
In the DJI Wookong assistant: TX calibration is ok, the 3 cursors are green
The AR8000 lamp is on so the binding is correct
The usb cable from computer to MC is off. MC OUTPUT ON
When I power up there is one bip which I think means everything ok.
When I do the startup procedure CSC(left stick lower left and right stick lower left), the engines do not start.

Could someone help me ?
Thanks for your help to a newbie :)
Mario

The engines : 4 Sunnysky X2212 KV 980
ESC : Hobbywing Flyfun 18Ab http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=201
Radio : Spektrum DX8 receiver AR8000
Software : 1.36 - Firmware : 5.20

VINHEX

With the WKM you should get a beep for each ESC so quad would be a quick four sequence of beeps.. Make sure controller is giving full circle of movements.. But I would think that it's the WKM config which maybe the issue.. As one beep is not the whole ready information..

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, DJI iOSD

Lanzar

i think you have some chanels inverted. if you moove all stcks to down and left all sliders in software should go left. chech.

dakota77

Hello,

Thanks for your time.

one beep is not the whole ready information : if I remove all connectors coming from the ESC to receiver, each motor beeps once each 2 seconds.

But do you know if I must remove the red wires coming from the Wookong MC to the ESC ? I didn't removed this wire up to now.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Did you calibrate the ESC's to your transmitter....? (Your ESC's need to know where is 0 throttel on your transmitter and where is full throttle)

Standard procedure with most ESC's: Turn on your transmitter and put throttle stick in "full throttle" position...leave it there....power up WooKong (with ESC's connected)....and you should hear one (sometimes more) beeps from each ESC.....quickly move throttle stick to the 0 position....you should hear aonther single (or multiple) beeps........calibration finished.
Switch power off and power on again.....your motors should start now, if your WooKong was programmed correctly and your connections are all ok.

You can remove the red wires...no need for it.

Chris

dakota77

Hello Chris

I put throttle stick in full position.
Power up WK with ESC connected.
I hear 2 bips (continuous)
I move throttle stick to 0 position
The 2 bips continue
Switch power off and power on again
The motors do not start but now there are 2 continuous bips
I can not connect the assistance software any more.
It seems that the drone entered into calibration mode and can not exit from this mode.

Thanks.

ChrisViperM

Ok...then try the following:

Try to calibrate the ESC's without WooKong: Power your receiver with a 5v power supply. Turn on your transmitter with the throttle to max. Connect your esc to the throttle channel of your receiver. Power the esc. You will hear tones coming from your motors. When you hear the tones, lower the throttle to minimum. You will hear confirming tones. Check the throttle response. The motor should power up smoothly from minimum to maximum throttle. If it does, do the same procedure for each motor....after calibration, hook them all up to WooKong and power up.

Have to leave the house now....will only be back monday evening....hope you sort that out

Chris

dakota77

Hello Chris, first, once again, thanks a lot for your time :)

I have done the calibration of each ESC without Wookong as you described.
No problem : the 4 motors are operationnal. They power up smoothly from minimum to maximum throttle.
I hooked them all up to Wookong and when the multirotor is powered up : 3 short beeps and 1 long.
The power led is flashing 3 times red and one time blue.

Nothing happens when I place the 2 sticks lower left. The engines do not start. :dejection:

In the ESC manual it is written : throttle stick is not in the bottom lowest position. Move the throttle stick to the bottom position and make sure it is Zero throttle at this position.

What can I do ? the stick is already at bottom position ...

Thanks.

andrewrob

When you go to the TX Cali screen on the DJI and you move your transmitter's sticks are the sliders moving as they should?
If thats all fine another noob thing that we managed to do when we first got a DJI was put the connectors from the DJI to the ESCs in upside down and had the same problem as you.

Check the TX cali first as blue flash also means you're in failsafe mode, ignore the red flashes that just means you have no GPS signal as you're indoors

dakota77

Hello,
I have checked the connections between DJI MC and ESC : the white wires (signal) face up. I think it is correct.
On the TX cali screen when I move the transmitter's sticks, the sliders are moving in the right way.
Juste one thing : the throttle slider is not totally on the left side even in the throttle stick is at the bottom.
If I trim it down the slider goes to the left but the motors do not start anyway.

On the transmitter I have tried to start from a new model. Binding with the receiver ok. But now on the calibration screen, the sliders are moving erraticaly even if I do not touch the sticks. Impossible to calibrate... I have noticed that the wire from receiver and its satellite is nearly broken. I don't know if this can be the reason of all this disorder ... I will repair it and test again.

Thanks for your help.

andrewrob

When you press the calibration button the sliders will move erratically until you move your sticks. Move yours sticks to the extreme end in all directions to calibrate, then don't touch the trims on your TX until you've tried starting it up.

dakota77

Hello,

I think I found what's wrong.
First I connected the GEAR port of the receiver to the U port of Wookong MC. I think I red it somewhere.
The motors do not start.
After a lot of hours of trials, I disconnected the GEAR port and connected the X2 port of the receiver to the U port of Wookong MC.
This X2 port is connected to a 3 position switch on the radio.
If the switch is on position 0 the motors do not start.
But if the switch is on position 1 the motors start :nevreness::nevreness::nevreness:
Now I'm happy.
Thanks for your help.

Hi
I got an email from my DJI dealer about a fault on the Wookong IMU.
DJI it seems has found a fault on the IMU if your payload is 7kg on the S800. It seems if you more the 7kg you can get a new IMU in a steel case, this new case will stop the faults, the main fault seems to be in hover mode.
What is annoying me is DJI is charging for the replacement IMU from what I've been told. Has anyone else heard about this?
Thanks

Below is an email that our dealer sent to us from DJI

Dear DJI Dealers,

After continued and extensive testing, DJI has found that if a S800 is heavily loaded (for example above 7kg), then in some flight situations the WooKong M IMU may have difficulty maintaining a fixed altitude .

DJI have specially developed a new Wookong-M IMU with an improved hardware and algorithm for this particular situation and the IMU also has a metal case, this new version is better suited to S800 setups weighing more than 7kg. The new IMU will be released in early April.

DJI would like to offer an upgrade option to current S800 / Wookong-M users. The upgrade involves the exchange of your current IMU.

Upgrade Procedure:

1. S800 / WKM user contact DJI (imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com) for your WKM IMU upgrade request

2. S800 / WKM user sends the current IMU back to the dealer after getting confirmation from DJI

3. DJI sends the new IMU to the dealer

4. The dealer returns the IMU back to DJI HQ

To obtain the Cost of this upgrade: please contact imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com

saidquad

Upgrade Procedure:

1. S800 / WKM user contact DJI (imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com) for your WKM IMU upgrade request

2. S800 / WKM user sends the current IMU back to the dealer after getting confirmation from DJI

3. DJI sends the new IMU to the dealer

4. The dealer returns the IMU back to DJI HQ

To obtain the Cost of this upgrade: please contact imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com
I did send an upgrade request email to imu_upgrade@DJI-Innovations.com and asked them about the price. No response! Anyone knows about the price of the upgrade if I return my IMU back to them?