colin guinn booted from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i realize i'm stooping to levels i try to avoid but the pudgy guy has 100 flights on his phantom and he's got 1800 followers? and why does he look like he making his poo-straining face when he's talking into the camera? is he making the video from the toilet?

ok, back to true moderator form now. sorry for the transgression.
bart

Once and a while stooping is good for you. It keeps the lip muscles limber.
I don't think he cares about Colin or DJI. I believe he's just interested in selling product.
He's a business man, I get it but it sounds like he's making lots of guesses about what actually happened.
Colin is not about to put DJI out of business in the US.
Lousy customer service or not, there is too big a demand.

Bartman

and any dealer that existed before Colin Guinn got involved isn't going to be affected by the injunction. a few of our advertisers are still doing just fine as they've been DJI dealers for a while now.

Bart

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Is there a list of which US dealers are unaffected? Hopefully AMP, as they're the only one I've heard who consistently gives good service to customers.

Bartman

Aerial Media Pros is a factory direct dealer which is a step above the new recruits that Colin has shut down. AMP hasn't been affected by the injunction and they're shipping products, business as usual basically.

Aerial Media Pros is a factory direct dealer which is a step above the new recruits that Colin has shut down. AMP hasn't been affected by the injunction and they're shipping products, business as usual basically.

Colin has indirectly done those dealers a HUGE favor and his own clients a terrible injustice. LOL

jfro

Aerial Fun
I bought a Naza V2 late last summer. I know/knew nothing of Colin or how DJI is run, but I did know buyer beware, you are on your own with the naza. My Naza has been fine so far.

Reading through the threads I see a fair amount of negative material on Colin & DJI. I've wondered if he was the problem on the no support or had anything to do with all the bugs.... Hard to believe some of the things I've read.... Also interesting, I see many making Colin the bad guy and DJI the good guy. I wouldn't make that assumption yet since we don't really know. My gut right now is negative on both.

After watching a video from last fall on their North American head quarters, I wonder about the amount of money spent on the offices and their American infrastructure., whose money was it, and of course wonder what kind of business arrangement Colin and DJI had and if their were written contracts... Guess I'm really wondering is who paid for the setup up that I saw in the video (link at end of post).

After watching the video, I'm guessing something seriously happened, as they had a pretty good investment in people and equipment at the new digs. I hear peeps talking about the excesses like the video screening room, but I was more caught by them using an Alexa and Epic for the video productions. They had a big time operation set up and a fair amount of people working there. Didn't see a big support department, but they were mentioned. Wonder who foots that bill. I was also taken back a bit by Colin as he walked through and showcased their new digs in TShirt and blue jeans. Guess that's the way business is done these days.

I think that some of the Chinese companies (this would include DJI) have learned that they don't have to be the cheapest anymore, they can charge what the market will bear. I think what they missed was that they need some support and service, but I'm not sure anybody in this industry does that to well. Support seems to fall on a few good dealers and the forums.

Here is the video I came across on their headquarters from last fall http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cf9H3HpqQVA

IMHO - The concept of a single distributor for all of North America does not fit well for the adjacent NA countries where customers incur disproportionate additional delivery delays as a result of warehousing, extra charges as a result of excess customs, duties, excise, flat brokerage fees and in some cases rogue couriers double billing for parcel delivery....... The Internet, online purchasing and an international currency such as Bitcoins is changing all that.

http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471286680.html

deluge2

No list I've seen so far, but:

Dealers I've used that are not affected include:

AerialMediaPros, IntelligentUAS (or 1UAS, formerly RCRUS), and UAVProducts. These 3 all had dealer relationships with DJI directly and receive stock from DJI China.

Steve

Is there a list of which US dealers are unaffected? Hopefully AMP, as they're the only one I've heard who consistently gives good service to customers.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
IMHO - The concept of a single distributor for all of North America does not fit well for the adjacent NA countries where customers incur disproportionate additional delivery delays as a result of warehousing, extra charges as a result of excess customs, duties, excise, flat brokerage fees and in some cases rogue couriers double billing for parcel delivery....... The Internet, online purchasing and an international currency such as Bitcoins is changing all that.

http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471286680.html

Did Canadian dealers have to go through DJI NA? So they're affected too?

Not to my knowledge with respect to Bradatech, MultiRotorHeli and another from Manitoba that I can recall..... Technically there is a customs exemption for Asian products landing in USA then being resent to Canada or Mexico but there is still paperwork etc.
Did Canadian dealers have to go through DJI NA? So they're affected too?

atlav8r

We (atlantahobby.com) supply many many dealers in the USA and around the world and are not affected by any of this.

Cliff Whitney
Atlanta Hobby
678-513-4450

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzboy

At the end of the day, the only ones punished will be Mr. Guinn's cherished 31 dealers. Sounds like he's going too have a bunch of new friends after this stunt, I think 31 to be precise. Folks have many other US options and international ones as well to purchase from and this injunction has to be one of the most professionally ill chosen paths in business I have ever seen.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Despite the business name, i.e., "DiJiang North America", which for some might imply all three NA countries are under their umbrella, a US court ruling has no jurisdiction outside of USA territory. But it has been common practice for many generations for a US business to take on the role of becoming the main distributor for all of North America for both domestic and foreign products. As an example EmpireRC remains a major distributor and supporter of Hobby Shops in both US and Canada.

jazzboy

Despite the business name, i.e., "DiJiang North America", which for some might imply all three NA countries are under their umbrella, a US court ruling has no jurisdiction outside of USA territory. But it has been common practice for many generations for a US business to take on the role of becoming the main distributor for all of North America for both domestic and foreign products. As an example EmpireRC remains a major distributor and supporter of Hobby Shops in both US and Canada.

How will this affect the two Canadian dealers named in the injunction? It doesn't make sense that the Tentacles of Texas can reach that far.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
JazzBoy..... please clarify as to which two Canadian dealers you are talking about.
If they are using DiJang North America as their supplier they would be affected regardless.
Otherwise..... IMHO - as stated previously, US courts, both state and federal cannot legally control other activities in countries unless it falls under a condition within a "free trade agreement etc."

Status
Not open for further replies.