Clearance Sale at 3DRobotics, IRIS+ just $399, NEW!

Old Man

The next phase of the emergence of the sUAS industry has very little to do with the flight controller, other than for DIY'ers, consumer projects like the NAZE32 and other derivative projects don't really matter. For commercial operations to take hold, at least here in the US the next phase of development will need a much better understanding of the applications needed to provide a more direct linkage between analytical technologies and real world problems. This will require sensors that can provide much better quality data that are much bigger, more expensive, heavier than a GoPro. No one will fly a $50K SWIR on a quad!

3DR has lost their minds, the SOLO wont cut it. So this might be one of those rare cases where the open source community is in a better position than the consumer and DoD vendors.

I fully agree.

Av8Chuck

Nope 3DR manufactured the Pixhawk in mexico. If the Pixhawk were manufactured in Chine the military couldn't use it.

violetwolf

Great information! I too am now up to speed. Makes sense about the military not using Chinese goods .. something I'd not considered.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

3DR was never in charge of the development of the Pixhawk. The Pixhawk is a PX4 board that also runs ArduPilot. DroneCode has always and will continue to manage the PX4 software and hardware development.

There are important differences between ArduPilot and PX4, who works on what code and how things are prioritized are determined by DroneCode and the Dev Committee. But as far as developing commercial products based on this open source effort one significant difference is in the license agreement for PX4 which allows for this to happen.

Only time will tell what effect 3DR focussing on the SOLO will have on the open source community. DroneCode is working to develop a strategy for going forward, the entire open source effort has done an outstanding job up until now and there's no reason to think that they won't be able to figure out life after 3DR.

The next phase of the emergence of the sUAS industry has very little to do with the flight controller, other than for DIY'ers, consumer projects like the NAZE32 and other derivative projects don't really matter. For commercial operations to take hold, at least here in the US the next phase of development will need a much better understanding of the applications needed to provide a more direct linkage between analytical technologies and real world problems. This will require sensors that can provide much better quality data that are much bigger, more expensive, heavier than a GoPro. No one will fly a $50K SWIR on a quad!

3DR has lost their minds, the SOLO wont cut it. So this might be one of those rare cases where the open source community is in a better position than the consumer and DoD vendors.
Thank you for that explanation @Av8Chuck

I agree with you Chuck on the SOLO, I want to respect the hell out of 3DR but putting everything behind SOLO is hard to understand for a mere mortal like myself.