Christmas gift for RC enthusiast: DJI 450?

lilly8

Hi all,

I don't know anything about RC tech but my brother is a huge RC enthusiast and has a lot of planes/helicopters/cars/boats but not quadcopters yet. I was thinking of getting him one for Christmas but I'm a little overwhelmed and am looking for some advice. Any help would be very much appreciated!

My budget is around $500-600 and while the DJI phantom is something i'd probably get for myself, I think he'd prefer something that he can put together himself, tinker with, upgrade, etc. So I was thinking the DJI 450 would be a good option, but I don't know what I need to get to make it complete (or mostly complete) and how much that would actually cost... For example, I'm looking at Atlanta Hobby and they have a $360 kit for the F450 that includes a Naza Lite and GPS but it says it will need a transmitter, receiver, a battery, and connectors. Does anyone have suggestions? Is this a reputable site? Is it likely that a transmitter he already has for his helicopters would work?

Thanks!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Lilly,

An F450 ARF kit would be a good first build but I'd pass on the NAZA Lite and get a NAZA V2. If he's flying RC then he can probably survive without the GPS option and still enjoy it a lot.

Atlanta Hobby is a retailer that you can count on, they seem to sell a lot of stuff although I'd respectfully ask that you shop with one of our advertisers here and then tell your brother about us after he opens his gift. :)

Enjoy the holidays.
Bart

lilly8

Thanks Bartman!

That makes sense, I saw a video the Naza v2 and it looked like it was flying better and I guess I really don't know what the GPS is for. He can get that later right?

I'll definitely check out the advertisers on here - the prices look similar.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks Bartman!

That makes sense, I saw a video the Naza v2 and it looked like it was flying better and I guess I really don't know what the GPS is for. He can get that later right?

I'll definitely check out the advertisers on here - the prices look similar.

he can add the GPS later.

don't forget to get him a multirotorforums.com t-shirt! :)

I would agree with Bart about the Naza V2. Truth be told, there isn't a huge difference between v1 and v2 Naza's. Should you happen to stumble across a NEW v1 at a good price, it would save you some $$. (However...as a gift, the v2 makes the bigger impact, of course).

All of the above being said, I'd not worry about the "it will need a transmitter, receiver, a battery, and connectors" part. If he is already an RC flyer and builder, he already has the transmitter...and probably has a spare receiver kicking around...and the connectors are really just utility items that any builder already has a drawer-full of.

Best,

.....sT

bensid54

I have the Naza light and a 450 flame wheel and have never had the Naza v2 but I really like my Naza light and at half the price I think it's a good place to start. A quad copter opens up a lot more doors for an RC lover and in my opinion they are cheaper crash wise than any other hobby grade flying RC I've ever owned.

FlyGirl

I have the Naza light and a 450 flame wheel and have never had the Naza v2 but I really like my Naza light and at half the price I think it's a good place to start. A quad copter opens up a lot more doors for an RC lover and in my opinion they are cheaper crash wise than any other hobby grade flying RC I've ever owned.

+1 to what Ben said....!