Channels. How many is enough?

gangle

I've ordered a Spektrum DX 6 for the 'train-up' phase of multirotor flying. I've been told that 6 channels is all I'll ever need for multirotor, but when I asked if there were any, future, unforeseens, such as camera work, I was met with a blank look...

Should I opt for an 8 channel Spektrum or am I ok with a 6?

Any help is appreciated-thanks, Gary

Ronan

10 is a minimum in most cases, 14 is preferable.

DEVO 10 will get you started nicely, then a Futaba 14SG when you want more controls. It's also common to have 2 radio's, one for pilot and one for the camera operator.

What are your short term goals? If there's somekind of gimbal in it, i would grab a 8 or 10 channel for at least basic control of the gimbal.

darwin-t

Why so many? I count four for the two sticks, one for IOC, one for GPS/ATT/Manual and one for camera tilt. That is seven. Am I missing something for the minimum needed?

Tahoe Ed

Why so many? I count four for the two sticks, one for IOC, one for GPS/ATT/Manual and one for camera tilt. That is seven. Am I missing something for the minimum needed?

It depends on controller. You did not add RTH. That is eight. Now with the A2 I can also add gear then 3 channels for Gimbal controls. I use a Futaba 14SG. Sometimes I wish for a few more. The Lightbridge will support 16.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
You can never have too many channels! Landing gear, lights, coffee machine etc

darwin-t

Thanks for the replies. I guess I changed the subject a bit. The original poster asked about how many, including extras. I was talking about minimum, basic setup. Sorry about that. I have a chance to get a Spektrum 6 channel transmitter. I guess that wouldn't be enough for basic flight and camera tilt, then, huh?

I want to build an F550. Is there a receiver that would work with the Phantom 1 transmitter? And would there be a disadvantage to this, other than a limitation on adding extra features?

Thanks

So then it shouldn't be a problem using a radio like a Spektrum DX18 or Futaba 18MZ to control a S900/1000 and a DJI 550 (not at the same time of course). The payload for the 900/1000 model hasn't been defined yet, but the additional channels would give me options down the road.