Changing props for high altitude flying

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Pete, it will work fine. Set it up as an x8. It wont know the difference, its the same with the hoverfly or any other controller.

Hey Pete,

Where did you read this? Assuming its a custom configuration in WKM?? Modded the AD6 hexa in this exact same way - Coax mounts, 8 motors, lost the front and rear arms. Looks more like a sideways H. Haven't flown it yet. Love the footprint and hoping it becomes a "backseater" with the ability to lift a 5D2.

SMP: I read this comment at this link: http://aerdro.com/ Yuri directed me to this (Bart's project) and I did see that Bart mentioned DJI as a viable flight controller for this configuration. I hope this helps.

rickyeatts

Hexa for High flying

Yuri: I came across this thread because I wanted to see what guys were doing to make their MR do better at higher elevations. As you know I have the S800 and I live and I generally work at 7K-8K MSL. I have had to strip my machine down considerably in order to get it to lift my small Sony NEX5N and AV200 gimbal. In order to have a predictable hover I can run only ONE 5,000 mAh lipo other wise I must continually play with the throttle which drives me nuts. Even when I dial the vert. gain way up in the Assistant it is still not happy. I have been flying fixed wing aircraft for over 30 years and know that density altitude is always on your mind when flying so why should these smaller craft be any different when all of the same principles apply? When I take off from Durango I need twice the runway that I need at Van Nuys. Usable load and density altitude are big considerations with anything that flies.

For this reason I want to build a new HEXA that will be capable of carrying a greater load. I can't keep working like this, with 6 minutes of flight time and a tiny camera. Since I am starting from scratch I am looking for advice on the best motors, props and ESCs for this elevation and that will be less likely to wimp out up here. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this that they are will to share?

Also, Yuri; Check out the "Smooth Gimbal Controller" from Jakub! Absolutely amazing! Less $$$ than HFG and sooooo much smoooother!

I built a hex off a dji 550 PCB with Aluminum version 1.0 arms from readymadeRC, to make a 660mm, ,T-Motor 3510 700kv 12" T-motor Props, Castle 35 ESC, FC DJI NAZA V2 GSP, 4s 6600mah Multistar battery from Hobby King, you can use a 4s 8000mah for a 2 minute or less added flight time. Battery and gimbal w/GoPro mounted on a 660mm rail system made by Strom that pushes the gimbal out from of the props, with Strom aluminum landing skids. It's fast, powerful and steady as a rock. Flight controller needs to be dialed in to where ever you live but will fly very well at default settings, It flew very will in Colorado at 10K feet but will drop like a rock if your not careful. best to descend as though you flying a fixed wing from my experience. I will upgrade to a retractable land gear and a Sony NEX in place of the GoPr0 and the rail system though I still want to mount my battery under the bottom plate instead of the top for a lower center of gravity. I need to figure out a quick release system to mount the gimbal. DJI's gimbal will be too big and heavy so I'm looking at different Chinese 360 gimbals though I could use advice on other past experence. Tarot has a nice section of Hexa's that will fold up and will rock with the T-Motor U3"s using 14 inch props.