Caught on camera, multirotor crashes into crowd at Great Bull Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstrike

pendejo grande
If I said to you guys, what if you could have a very small quad (smaller than a Phantom) that can fly for 20 mins and shoot better stills and video than most DSLRs, also have a 20x zoom function and weigh less that 1000 grams would that not make a lot more sense than this inevitable road to self destruction of this as an industry. It does exist and what is more I have one that has already entered service. A long time ago I was banging on about the superior flight stabilization of small quads.

I'm listening. The drawback though is a tiny quad gets tossed around alot more in the wind, but I'm liking my quad way more than my hex lately.

jhardway

ya I am not a fan of the Nanotechs, It looks like a ESC or something controlling that area copter, I did notice some of the power leads to the esc seem to be pretty long, and the copter itself is fairly heavy, I believe the motors are Tiger 3515's, looking at the result I would put my bet on a possible RF issue!! it is a race track, I believe it you had a motor go out you would have seen some yaw take place not just plain toppling over like it did, also if a motor goes out in that configuration the copter may have been able to handle it with out a big drop like it did - back to it is a heavy copter !

Now that I have looked at it a lot more while writing this post I am going throw out another idea, a power failure.

I wonder how long they were up? it was pretty hot

OK OK OK - I am going with pilot error power failure, then RF!! I would like to know, I bet the audio from the camera would sum it all up for us.

DennyR

Tstrike

Using a mathematical model and then control theory Raffaello D'Andrea and his team used small quads for a very good reason. (response time) to create some remarkable achievements [video]http://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello_d_andrea_the_astounding_athletic_power_o f_quadcopters.html[/video]

I used small quads to perform what most people would have considered impossible or too risky when I captured data on birds nests from 3-4 feet away on vertical cliffs up to 200 feet away whilst being pitched all over the place as I operated from a small boat. Clearly I was using stability beyond what most people have in their standard armor.

The worlds highest resolution aerial camera system (Persistent Stare) uses 380 image sensors from a mobile phone.

A Nokia 808 probably has better resolution than your current high end DSLR . This information might tell you where things are headed.

DennyR

And again it's DJI. Why am I not surprised. I'm not sure if it's a problem with DJI's technology per se, or just because they spend so much on marketing they are the defacto plug-and-play outfit.

I wonder if this was again caused by GPS loss. I'm hearing a lot of cases where people flying DJI fly in GPS ATTI 100% of the time, and can't fly without it at all.

I was trying to use GPS for (road) navigation on the weekend and noticed it seemed to be having a TERRIBLE time getting a lock. I think there might be some really bad solar storms going on right now.

Rob it is highly likely that it was a GPS malfunction especially if it was not using a V.2 module. when it drops out the copter can head off anywhere but I would not reject the possibility of a ESC low voltage shut-down if not programmed to Nicad as that is exactly what happens..

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Apart from what you may think about invasion of privacy it will undoubtably be used in the commercial sector to provide 3D imagery of anything on the ground. Thus making the AP market even smaller than it is already getting.

Hi end Google....

From a military and anti terrorist device I think it is long overdue. In the past my imagery has been used by the police to place a murder suspect at the scene of a crime when he said he was elsewhere. He admitted murdering a school child after seeing the evidence. I see more good than bad coming from this.

Stacky

With the improvements in lcd technology and electronic shutters we are getting closer to the lack of need for the slr mechanism. The Nex series of cameras are a sign of whats coming. I doubt in 10 years time that we well see dslr cameras. That means we wont need to be carrying heavier cameras to get high end footage.

DennyR

Well Gary, how long before legislation wakes up to the fact that you can achieve what anyone is going to realistically need with a sub 1000 gram vehicle?

Very true about ease of transportation. Just throw 4 models in the back of your car and go off for the day.

I think DJI shot themselves in the foot with the Phantom, it will impact the high end sales.

VTG

An updated news video with updated details ... Federal investigation underway.

http://wtvr.com/2013/08/26/great-bull-run-crash-victims/

The news report indicates that the owner of the multirotor "leased" it to a third party to film the Bull Run.

Leased a multirotor to a third party ... are you kidding me?

You think the owner is a little worried today?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Tstrike

Using a mathematical model and then control theory Raffaello D'Andrea and his team used small quads for a very good reason. (response time) to create some remarkable achievements [video]http://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello_d_andrea_the_astounding_athletic_power_o f_quadcopters.html[/video]

I used small quads to perform what most people would have considered impossible or too risky when I captured data on birds nests from 3-4 feet away on vertical cliffs up to 200 feet away whilst being pitched all over the place as I operated from a small boat. Clearly I was using stability beyond what most people have in their standard armor.

The worlds highest resolution aerial camera system (Persistent Stare) uses 380 image sensors from a mobile phone.

A Nokia 808 probably has better resolution than your current high end DSLR . This information might tell you where things are headed.

Denny, I'd love to see some photos of your system and the the results it is achieving. 20 minutes flying time from a quad smaller than a Phantom, getting stable images from a camera worth using... it's a license to print money.

As for D'Andrea's achievements, they are very impressive, but must be taken in context:

1) All his flights are indoors in windless environments
2) He uses a $200,000+ Vicon IR System which measures copter location with cm precision at 1000Hz or something
3) High level flight control is performed on a powerful computer not on-board the aircraft
4) Rate commands are sent wirelessly to a simple control board on the quad

His demonstrations are state-of-the-art. But none of it can be done outdoors. And it probably can't be done at long range because the on-board flight controller is pretty dumb, if you lost the wireless link, it would likely fall from the sky.

With the improvements in lcd technology and electronic shutters we are getting closer to the lack of need for the slr mechanism. The Nex series of cameras are a sign of whats coming. I doubt in 10 years time that we well see dslr cameras. That means we wont need to be carrying heavier cameras to get high end footage.

I'll take it a step further: You won't be seeing camera bodies at all. You'll just buy lenses, they'll come with an imager built-in. Electronics are cheap as chips. But good lenses are still difficult and expensive to make. They will continue to be the anchor for camera systems. Eventually the imager will just be built into the back of the lens. You'll still be carrying around a bag of lenses. But you won't have to do the process of changing lenses on the body. You'll just pull out the lens you want to use, and shoot.

At the least, the CMOS will be built into the lens, and you'll simply clip on the processor/SDCard Reader/LCD//Handle/Button portion. This will eliminate the risk of dust on the sensor, which would be nice.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
An updated news video with updated details ... Federal investigation underway.

http://wtvr.com/2013/08/26/great-bull-run-crash-victims/

The news report indicates that the owner of the multirotor "leased" it to a third party to film the Bull Run.

Leased a multirotor to a third party ... are you kidding me?

So the owner of the aircraft was not operating it, but "rented" it to somebody else. But they're not saying who due to confidentiality agreements. So we have people renting UAV's to operators with what credentials exactly? I wonder if this will finally be the event that kicks the FAA into high gear. This whole situation is pretty ridiculous. Because the FAA has failed to effectively regulate the market, they are losing control more and more every day.
On the technical side, there's a statement there about the battery dying. We saw it dip to one side. Anybody wanna bet that whatever clown assembled that monstrosity, it's running stock ESC firmware with LiPo cuttoff enabled?

Well as a resident of Virginia I can tell you I'm worried! I may have been 100 miles away when everything happened but what happened may very well wind up affecting me. The Delegate who wrote up the drone moratorium legislation earlier this year commented on the story, he is looking into this and that more legislation is needed.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Interesting stuff...

"After viewing the video, experts in the field of model aviation said it appeared the remote-controlled aircraft lost its signal with the transmitter before it fell."

Obviously these weren't experts in the field of MULTIROTORS! Nothing in that video made me think the Tx link was lost.

Morons.

"
“We are investigating to see if the person flying the unmanned aircraft violated any FAA regulations, particularly the part that says ‘No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another,’” the FAA said in a statement."

This surprises me. I'd have thought the first thing they'd have been going after is the whole commercial use thing.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
.... they were amazed with has standard but couldn't understand why he was flying in manual mode... "why bother to fly manual when the Naza (yes they recommended a Naza V1 on a "Pro-level SJ6) does it for you"....

.... This automatic stabilized flying technique being promoted by the big guys is negligent in my opinion - especially when the way to try and stop the "DJI wobble" is flicking to manual mode. Half the pilots out there aren't even enabling manual-mode at all...

And therein lies a large part of the general problem. The multi-rotor craze is encouraging unwitting irresponsible behaviour because of this "... they are so easy to fly ..." attitude. Those who have gravitated towards the multi-rotor from the previous traditional AP platform - the manual flight single-rotor helicopter - will of course find the MR 'easy'. Those with no previous experience of model flying who are encouraged to leave their new toy in full-auto will have no idea of how to set up and balance an airframe and, because the very sophisticated flight control will mask all sorts of setup sins, will consequently be unaware that their MR could actually be in a precarious state.

My comment in another thread raises precisely this concern.

It is not uncommon for Single-rotor pilots to learn how to fly via buddy-link where an experienced pilot (perhaps a member of a model club club) has primary control and gradually gives stick control to the newbie bit by bit until he gets the hang of it. New MR flyers are by and large missing this step altogether and then, when they get into difficulties, are relying upon the often dubious advice of a forum such as this one where the voices of the experienced are hidden in amongst the multitude who simply have an opinion.

Official regulation should not simply clamp down on the whole activity because of these above mentioned tits, persecuting the responsible community in the process, it should go further back up the supply chain to the manufacturers and retailers who are making the financial killing. Just like cars. If you are underage, have not passed a driving test, do not have a valid license, you are not legally allowed to drive and the dealer is not permitted to sell you the car.

Generally, the world of modelling never really had a problem until the arrival of the bloody multi-rotor. But now, ignorance and stupidity, the all pervading curse of mankind,the whole activity is potentially in jeopardy with overpowering regulation looking more and more likely.

Welcome to The Age Of The Common Man where ignorance and stupidity are given equality and the progress of society is governed by the lowest common denominator.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Generally, the world of modelling never really had a problem until the arrival of the bloody multi-rotor.

Be careful with that one. I remember 20 years ago, the old guys in the club used to say the same thing about ARF airplanes, and how they'd be the death of RC. How wrong they were.

But generally I agree with you.

Modern flight controllers are only offering the appearance of ease of use and failsafe. But they are for the most part masking many sins, such as lack of flying skills, or setup problems. The flight controller itself is fairly reliable, and has many failsafes, but the rest of the system doesn't.

I recently saw a discussion on one of our lists where somebody was saying that he found Arducopter difficult to fly compared to DJI. What it boiled down to was the DJI was being flown exclusively in GPS mode. Arducopter's default mode is manual, so you do have to "fly it" to some degree to get off the ground before you can kick in the GPS hold.

DennyR

Denny, I'd love to see some photos of your system and the the results it is achieving. 20 minutes flying time from a quad smaller than a Phantom, getting stable images from a camera worth using... it's a license to print money.

As for D'Andrea's achievements, they are very impressive, but must be taken in context:

1) All his flights are indoors in windless environments
2) He uses a $200,000+ Vicon IR System which measures copter location with cm precision at 1000Hz or something
3) High level flight control is performed on a powerful computer not on-board the aircraft
4) Rate commands are sent wirelessly to a simple control board on the quad

His demonstrations are state-of-the-art. But none of it can be done outdoors. And it probably can't be done at long range because the on-board flight controller is pretty dumb, if you lost the wireless link, it would likely fall from the sky.

I'll take it a step further: You won't be seeing camera bodies at all. You'll just buy lenses, they'll come with an imager built-in. Electronics are cheap as chips. But good lenses are still difficult and expensive to make. They will continue to be the anchor for camera systems. Eventually the imager will just be built into the back of the lens. You'll still be carrying around a bag of lenses. But you won't have to do the process of changing lenses on the body. You'll just pull out the lens you want to use, and shoot.

At the least, the CMOS will be built into the lens, and you'll simply clip on the processor/SDCard Reader/LCD//Handle/Button portion. This will eliminate the risk of dust on the sensor, which would be nice.

OK where to start, Cameras already are being made with the chip built into the lens. The smaller the sensor then the easier it is to make a high quality lens. For AP work it does not have to focus as the depth of field is very large due to the focal length needed for a small sensor. As an example of what is coming the Nokia 808 cell phone has a resolution better than a lot of so called high end DSLR's. High end aerial video systems for years now have used just the lens and the sensor in the gimbal. the rest of the camera is inside the aircraft. (Full size)
Even 10x8 inch mapping lenses are very simple designs because they only have to work at infinity. The high end security cameras are just a board with a lens and some of those are getting quite good. I have explained this many times before but Large sensors have a totally different use in the film industry. The size and weigh of the lenses are such that they have no practical use in AP and are designed with great difficulty and cost to eliminate breathing when focus is pulled. Astigmatism and other bad chromatic disorders increase as the sensor size increases. Even the tiny Nokia 808 lens has aspherical elements and low dispersion glass. You must have noticed how good a gopro is considering how small it is in comparison to DSLRs.

My reference to the small quads used in the video was to highlight the fact that the reaction time is much faster than with larger models Agility = stability. which is not to say that smaller is more lift efficient because it is not. I don't even use a GPS for most of my work, so the external input would not affect anything. The models that I use are extremely light and use 6,000 mah batteries and another is using 11,000 mah. A typical model without camera and battery is less than 500 grams. And it can float on water.

The best one that I have is still under wraps because of the way in which the camera is attached and the type of camera that is used, the two that I have posted here before have GoPro 3's that get a lot of work in post and the results don't look at all like GoPro.
As for being a license to print money it is how I earn my living. (for the last 35 years) Jobbing work with MR's will not make anyone rich. Only repro will do that. AP is a numbers game. You have to be good and you have to know how and where to sell.

DennyR

I also forgot to mention that some of these new cameras have stabilized lenses that can automatically level the horizon and provide stabilization in five axis. There is a drawback in that these cameras will be much too sensitive to vibration for general MR use.

Status
Not open for further replies.