Carbon Props vs Stock DJI props - What am i missing

censrd

Hey everybody, so i'm a bit confused here. I recently swapped out the stock dji 8" props on my 550. With a set of 9" carbon fiber props from bird dog. Despite playing with the gains (of which i still don't quite understand but getting there) the carbon props turned my 550 into a unworldly beast that was near impossible to control. It seemed to forget that such a thing as GPS hold existed and would drift 5-10 meters both vertically and horizontally. It would do this in both GPS and atti modes. But also with just the smallest throttle input it would shoot up high and fast and would only return when i had pretty much had 0 throttle applied. (intelligent mode). As soon as i refitted the old plastic props it returned to normal again. What am i missing in the settings or what do i need to do otherwise...
If it helps i run 4s batteries, with landing gear, and the 4.0 firmware.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
You have run in to some serious vibration issues that are making the 9DOF sensors in the IMU read errors. Consequently your controller is completely confused and can't quite decide what to do next........ Motors are probably still in balance. But get the prop balancing under control before the MR is flown again and/or someone gets hurt!!!
Hey everybody, so i'm a bit confused here. I recently swapped out the stock dji 8" props on my 550. With a set of 9" carbon fiber props from bird dog. Despite playing with the gains (of which i still don't quite understand but getting there) the carbon props turned my 550 into a unworldly beast that was near impossible to control. It seemed to forget that such a thing as GPS hold existed and would drift 5-10 meters both vertically and horizontally. It would do this in both GPS and atti modes. But also with just the smallest throttle input it would shoot up high and fast and would only return when i had pretty much had 0 throttle applied. (intelligent mode). As soon as i refitted the old plastic props it returned to normal again. What am i missing in the settings or what do i need to do otherwise...
If it helps i run 4s batteries, with landing gear, and the 4.0 firmware.

Tahoe Ed

Try the DJI 10x3.8 props. I think that you will be pleased. I have them on my F450 and F550 both with 4S. They work great.

censrd

I was under the impression that if flying with 4s batteries then you are better to use the 8"props....
thanks gt when i get time i'll re-check the balance of the new props