Carbon Fiber "H" Style Quad Build

F

fengshuidrone

I am lucky to be nearsighted and the focal lengths all workout with this kit so everything is sharp and in focus. I considered the fact that others could not see it well and needed to wear glasses and couldn't with these. I'm thinking most of them were farsighted people to whom the close screen is at the wrong focal length. I can see sharp and clear stuff within about ten inches at the farthest to three inches at the closest. The screen sits about four or five inches away from my eyes so it looks awesome. If I was farsighted and my optimum focal length was out there in the feet instead of inches range like mine is and had less than good up close vision like my wife has, I would have problems as well. So maybe I should qualify my recommendation that these work well to, these work well for those people that have perfect vision up close. If you are a farsighted person and have trouble reading without reading glasses you will have trouble seeing this screen. The more that your ideal focal length is capable of seeing at distances of 4 to 5 inches, the better these will work for you.

F

fengshuidrone

The mods that I did to make the Quanum FPV Headset more functional and comfortable are outlined in this video.
I looked at the V2 version of this set that HK has for $55.79 that has a slightly bigger viewscreen but then I thought about the size difference and realized that I didn't need a bigger screen as much as I needed something light enough to actually wear. The V2 looks like some kind of dinosaur head when you wear it and the, for lack of a better name, headsock, I think would have me sweating up a storm on a hot summer day. I settled for the much less expensive and much less bulky 1st version for $29.95.

Last edited:

F

fengshuidrone

I'm not sure it's the best idea to try to fly FPV with a camera articulating on the gimbal. You need to be aware of the attitude of the craft to be able to properly control what's happening. I believe there are even some gimbals that have an "FPV" mode that stop movement for this use.

Turns out you may be right on this point after all. Doing some tests in the "handheld" :D mode of simulated flight with the cam on and the headset being worn, I did notice that it is rather difficult to judge pitch of the quad which also made it hard to see how close the floor really was. I took the gimbal out of the picture and things seemed better. Trouble is, like that I feel like I'm getting motion sickness or vertigo and actually having trouble standing up almost.
I don't get that with the gimbal on. I might have to sit down and fly. I have central nerve damage from almost dying from something called pernicious anemia before finally being diagnosed, and it has messed with my senses pretty badly. Now I get a monthly B 12 shot and have somewhat recovered. For a while there before they figured it out I would fall over backwards and to the left if I tried to stand still. I had no idea it would affect my ability to do things like this too.

cootertwo

Nothing unusable about that feeling. I think most of us feel it. If I try to fly standing up, with my goggles, I get real wobbly. I fly almost all the time, sitting in a lawn chair. Whenever I let someone try my goggles, I always tell them to hold onto something. It's a big part of the thrill, kinda like a roller coaster ride!

F

fengshuidrone

I'm glad to hear it's not just me:D. I was kind of surprised because I don't normally have a reaction to any kind of motion. Glad to hear it's not being caused by my now treated condition. I still have other lingering problems from it. I will try flying while seatedo_O

F

fengshuidrone

I got my GPS working on my FPV quad. I wanted a quad with FPV to be able to do waypoint missions so I could pre fly over the area I want to film and get a better viewpoint of how to get the best shots before actually filming. I am going to be filming what a mission looks like with my other quad which will fly the exact same pre-programmed route that the FPV one flew. That is going to be my first use of the two mission capable quads anyways. Now I have a reason to wake up.

F

fengshuidrone

I got the last part I was waiting on from the slow boat from China. The Cloverleaf antennae I bought. They came in good condition with only the stems bent up a little. I tried them out to make sure they actually work but have not tested them in flight as of yet. The weather here has been unseasonably warm, but windy and rainy making flying a bad idea.
Cost me $9.98 with free shipping on E bay.
DSCN0031_zpsqshgdmwf.jpg~original

Last edited:

Chalagi

I was diagnosed with acute anemia and the bad thing is you never really know you have that until then. I took many B-12 shots before going on pills by mouth. But as of today I pretty much have that under control according to the doctor.

F

fengshuidrone

Yeah it sucked pretty bad. Mine is caused by a lack of something called the intrinsic factor in my stomach. I ruined it when I took to many antacids when I was younger. I also can't take the pills because of that. I'm stuck (pun intended) getting a shot once a month. They thought I had MS until my neurologist finally did a B12 test one day.

F

fengshuidrone

Just one more mod before I am actually done with this build. I got a little plastic case full of guitar picks (I play guitar and other instruments) as a Christmas present from a cousin. Hey, don't get me wrong, I loved the picks but the case really caught my eye. It looked to me like a little GPS case. I decided to re-gift myself and turn it into one. The actual one made to fit my module costs $3.00 +$4.50 S&H. I figured what the hey, that one is black and there is no way to tell if the green GPS satellite acquired is blinking, and mine is clear. All I had to do was cut a little ball chain tab off the thing and extend that cut a little way down the case for the GPS wires to come out, then put Velcro to hold it to the quad and to hold the GPS module tight in the case. I ended up saving $7.50 and came out with a perfect fitting protective GPS case.
DSCN0033_zpsr9pgxv9t.jpg~original

DSCN0036_zps98y8svzx.jpg~original

Thanks for checking out my build:):):)