Can't Get Off the Ground - Possibly Bad Flight Controller?

ControlFreq

So I've had my miniquad built for about 3 months now. Haven't got to fly it as much as I'd like, due to work and bad weather. But now I can't fly at all. Last time I flew, I got a little adventurous and tried to do a flip. I ended up hitting the ground pretty hard, but it kept on flying for a few seconds before falling out of the sky.

Now, when I try to take off, the quad immediately flips upside down. If I try to slowly throttle up, as soon as it leaves horizontal the wrong motors seem to go full throttle and flip it over hard. If I try to pitch forward, I end up flipping backward. If I roll left, I flip right, etc...

I have checked the acc's and gyros in baseflight and they seem fine. I checked to make sure my motors were in the right order and re-calibrated my ESC's. I checked the receiver tab to make sure the pitch/roll/yaw were coming in right. I re-flashed the firmware and reset all my setting back to default. I set acc_lpf_factor = 100. So far no luck.

I can't figure it out. I'm about to order a new flight controller to swap out for this one.

Old Man

I have this X-8 that when setting it up I checked everything 3 times to be certain all was correct. Went out in the yard to power it up for a test flight and no matter how much throttle was applied all it would do is just spin the props faster and shake a lot. Stopped and checked everything one more time and found the problem. All the motors and props spun the right direction but every single prop was mounted upside down.... Painful to admit, but all too true.

In the case of the OP, he might have damaged the FC in the first crash.

Last edited by a moderator:

ControlFreq

****SOLVED****

Thanks for the advice guys. Although I said I checked the motor positions, it turns out the motors were 180 degs swapped. It's like you said Old Man, sometimes its the most obvious problems that go unnoticed.

Now I'll have a spare FC when it does go out, or I'll just start building a second one!