Canon 5D Settings And Tricks For AV Shooting

teecee

So I finally have all the pieces back together and have my Canon 5DMKIII back up in the air on the S1000 with the Z15-5D gimbal and the recommended 24mm lens. Now for camera video settings and work flow... I've been shooting stills with Canon DSLRs forever but video is relatively new to me. I took a course on the basics but I figure there must be some good tricks for AV shooting. I have the camera set to manual, ALL-I 30FPS, quick focus, shutter speed 60, aperture as closed down as I can make it based on available light for greater depth of field and I adjust exposure with ISO but don't go to high. I usually go straight up 20' or so into a hover, operate the shutter button remotely to give me focus on the horizon in quick focus mode. I then roll video. Results have been OK but not stunning. It has not been really bright and beautiful out for my video tests though either.

Are there any kick butt 5D shooters out there willing to share their AV workflows? I'd really appreciate it.

akproject

if you filming at 30fps - shutter is 1/60 of a second or 1/50 of a second if 24fps
set focus manually to infinity
aperture to f8.0 (best setting for this lens)
use variable ND filter to control light intensity
set ISO manually to 100

and try to slightly overexpose, around 1/3 of a stop...