Canon 550d or 650D?

vulcan2go

Hi,

I already have an outstanding video camera but I'm also looking for a good quality camera primarily for taking stills from an aerial platform for my commercial aerial business. (I will be using it on my hex platform with an AV200 gimbal)

I'd love to have a Canon 5D - but they are mega expensive and pretty heavy. I've been doing a fair bit of research and the one that comes very highly recommended and will not be an issue (weight or size) for my Hex is the Canon 550d and a EF-S 17-55 lens. (loadsamoney.....ooh)

My problem is that I am a pretty good pilot but a novice when it comes to cameras - so please be gentle with me!

My questions are:

- Do any of you have such a combination and do you think its OK
- Can anyone comment on the suitability of either using the 550d or should I go for the 650d (several places suggest the the 550 is actually better, but that the 650d has better gizmos including better auto focus in video mode)
- Anyone wanting to part with their 550d or 650d for sensible money?

Cheers,

Jodde73

I've had the 550d and now I own the 650d, I also have the 17-55 2.8 IS. When in air taking stills there is no difference, but when using it "by hand" I'll say there is a lot difference in the handling and good new functions. The articulating touchscreen is fantastic, very clear and responsive. The 17-55 is a great lens, my favorite except for my primes. But flying a heavy zoom on a multi sounds strange to me. Might be hard to balance out on the AV200. If you are going to use it mainly on your flying platform I would definitely go for the eos M (650d in a small package, I will probably swap my 650 for an M or GH3 or Nex ;)). Some light primes like the ef-m 22mm pancake or a Sigma 30mm, depends of what coverage you are looking for. I also have the Ef 40mm pancake, very sharp and small/light.

Jodde73

Very strange thing to write, "massive" is relative.. Look around you, we are lifting 5d's, C300 and even Red's.
"Standard" 35mm Tigers with 12" Graupners, 30-40A Esc's and 2x5000mAh 4s on a Hexa will lift that setup without even getting warm.