Canada sUAV regulations moving forward

Pumpkinguy

I was told 37 on the phone when I talked to them this week. Maybe the guy just made the number up but he said if you do not meet all the requirements you need to apply for sfoc regardless of uav size

haha49

Well I don't fly for any other reason then for my own fun... So rules pfff.... Who cares... The rules are unrealistic.... 150m from people well..... I'm a person.... So I have to take off 150 meters away from my self... It's all in how you look at the rules. Now I had friends that asked me to fly close to them when rock climbing I went well if your ok with the risk I have no problems doing it.

O I also tune into the local air traffic to see were people are when I fly and They notice the crafts flying around as they tend to talk about them. O there is a craft over by X location at X height. They know and see it. So it's not really a huge risk. Now if you fly in a busy airport then your stupid and that's way more risk. My F550 with gopro is just under 2 Kg so....

Pumpkinguy

Do not fly closer than 9km from forest fires, airports, heliports, aerodomes, or built up areas.
Built up areas means "everywhere you want to film". Lol

Real estate job with 2kg = sfoc

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Damn... yeah, that is... not so good. I missed that part. Yeah, that kinda kills this doesn't it? This was supposed to reduce SFOC applications to manageable levels, allowing free operation of safe/simple flights. But that right there will kill that idea. That can't be right.

I'm trying to find the Minister's Exemption which is behind that infographic, but I can't. We need that detail, as the infographic is a bit too vague. 9km is a long, long way.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
The rules are unrealistic.... 150m from people well..... I'm a person.... So I have to take off 150 meters away from my self... It's all in how you look at the rules. Now I had friends that asked me to fly close to them when rock climbing I went well if your ok with the risk I have no problems doing it.

It says "involved people" you and your subjects are involved.

Pumpkinguy

Rob. It's not so bad. There is a positive I take from it as a guy who would like to get into this career. I am willing to do things right. Do the research, the leg work, get insurance, follow procedures. Then there are the guys who will want to buy a phantom and tomorrow start advertising on kijiji. Those guys will be at risk of serious fines. This legislation will make it easier for the people that are willing to go to all that trouble and harder for the guys that don't.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Well, generally yes but, if that 9km restriction is real (I have trouble believing it is, because it's stupid compared to everything else in the rules which are reasonable) then you'll have a hard time starting a business, because everything you do will require an SFOC, and you cannot compete with the guys who have blanket SFOC coverage already.

haha49

It says "involved people" you and your subjects are involved.

Well I can be 150 meters away and the thing attracts peoples like flys to s.... People come running over going that is so cool how can I get one were can I get one and how much? then can you make me one?

At the end of the day if no one gets hurt nothing gets broken was there ever a problem. It's permit for this permit for that... you used to be able to goto the hardware store and by TNT then blow up the beaver dam your self. Now you have to pay big bucks for someone to come and do it. (it's not cheap) The risk for fines is non existant for 1 simple reason who knows the laws who can write a ticket and what ticket do they write? It's a civil not a criminal mater and most police officers have better things to do with their time. So no informent unless you do something really stupid like fly in an airport to film planes taking off but even that has been done with permission before. I tune into the radios and I can even talk to the planes as well with a radio so is there a big risk when they go I see something and unknown height and you reply well it's blank height at X location and is going up and down or this or that way. Planes talk to each other saying Hey I'm taking off in this area or hey I'm in this area moving into this one or watch out for so and so on the military channels doing training since they won't hear you.

What I want to know what law changed? When did it change? If it didn't change then who cares I'm not breaking the law just some rule an agency trys to inforce. At the end of the day if it's not in the law you don't have to do it. The people who own firearms went through a huge number of it's not the law but it's our policy crap. The only problem was you break the rules you end up in jail even though you broke no law or they did things to screw you over because they didn't like you. Which is why it blows up in the cheif firearms officers faces when they do stupid things that they're not supposed to. This stuff is the same thing an agency makeing up rules as if it makes the laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Are sUAV's commercial businesses still required to get EACH of their flight plans certified? That's what drove us out of Canada...

Hired for 1 job, wait 20-30 days for the permission to go through, rinse and repeat... Completely mental compared than earlier where you would get a 'go ahead' for a year...

ChrisErl

So for things such as real estate could 1 not include any buildings within the 150 metres of the main target by say asking owner of houses for permission and offering them a picture from above

Pumpkinguy

Chris. It does not matter. You can't fly around built up areas without an sfoc. Plain and simple. But yes, under 2kg you need to be 30m away from the buildings and 2kg - 25kg you need to be 150m away unless you get a sfoc. You could probably do 100 real estate jobs @ $250 a piece before you get the $5000 fine. Or maybe 1000 jobs. Or 1. Lol

ChrisErl

Chris. It does not matter. You can't fly around built up areas without an sfoc. Plain and simple. But yes, under 2kg you need to be 30m away from the buildings and 2kg - 25kg you need to be 150m away unless you get a sfoc. You could probably do 100 real estate jobs @ $250 a piece before you get the $5000 fine. Or maybe 1000 jobs. Or 1. Lol

There site is misleading. In 1 spot it says not to fly within 150 metres of people , buildings etc in another it says the same thing but adds not involved in the operation. So as I read it if you have permission from private land owners then you must maintain the 30 metre buffer in this case ? Am I completely reading that wrong ? All of my work to this point has been forestry related and so the new rules are great for that. I guess I'm calling TC to clarify next week.

Amerly

We use this to mesure distances from airports and controled space zones : https://www.foreflight.com/ipad/

you also get flight sups (CFS) info for controled space operator contact or mandatory frenquecies...

Also METAR...

If you go for an SFOC you will need theses info...

Available only for IPad (cellular model needed for built in GPS)... You can get a one month free trial (no download of maps but usable anyway)

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Well, that's my point. ;)

That is supposed to be a link to the document, but it's broken. There are links to that document in several places on the TC website, as it's required reading to submit an SFOC. But all the links are dead. The document no longer exists, and there is no replacement. It's basically impossible to fill out an application for the past week.

Google did cache the page already.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...600-623-001-972.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ch

But for all intents and purposes, it's a dead document, and it was only released a couple weeks ago.

navycut81

Anybody else notice that the brand new SFOC regulations seemed to have been pulled down? Is something happening? Are they being reworked already?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...referencecentre-documents-600-623-001-972.htm

there back up at a different link
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-4161.html

it looks like they just added a small amendedment for maac members at there fields, but I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing again yet o_O

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, I actually happened upon that yesterday too.

That Appendix J is interesting. I wonder why that would even be required? Is it for commercial operation at a MAAC field? Does it mean that MAAC insurance is enough for operation at a MAAC field?

What exactly does this mean?

1. The UAV shall not be operated in any special aviation event requiring an SFOC under Part VI, Subpart 3, Division 1 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations.