Can this DJI F450 starter kit be beat?

alaskan

After reading obsessively and lurking, I'm pretty sure I want to get started on a multirotor project. The flexibility of the F450 seems great, but after totaling up all the parts required it seems like I'm best off starting with this:

http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f450-combo-3-naza-lite-legs.html

And then buying the rest of the parts (transmitter/receiver, batteries) that I'll need. I don't have any immediate desire to do FPV or photo/video stuff, but I might want to eventually. The idea of picking every component is tempting, but even these parts separate (no upgrading) would be over $500. If these parts are complete garbage then obviously I'd avoid the "savings" and piece together my own kit.

Thanks in advance.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Alaskan,

That is the cheapest I have seen an ARF one with this stuff that I have come across. I elected to go a different route and am sourcing all of the parts individually. I am not familiar with the NAZA products but many folks are here on the site.

Someone will chime in soon hopefully.

Mike :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
After reading obsessively and lurking, I'm pretty sure I want to get started on a multirotor project. The flexibility of the F450 seems great, but after totaling up all the parts required it seems like I'm best off starting with this:

http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f450-combo-3-naza-lite-legs.html

And then buying the rest of the parts (transmitter/receiver, batteries) that I'll need. I don't have any immediate desire to do FPV or photo/video stuff, but I might want to eventually. The idea of picking every component is tempting, but even these parts separate (no upgrading) would be over $500. If these parts are complete garbage then obviously I'd avoid the "savings" and piece together my own kit.

Thanks in advance.

alaskan,

i wouldn't go with the NAZA Lite unless you absolutely have to. check out our Group Build thread and read the comments comparing the NAZA V1 and V2 to the Lite.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the first post! :triumphant:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
While I do prefer the V1/2's a flying buddy is using a Lite on a fairly well specced 450 quad and he is getting really great results.

Last edited by a moderator:

alaskan

alaskan,

i wouldn't go with the NAZA Lite unless you absolutely have to. check out our Group Build thread and read the comments comparing the NAZA V1 and V2 to the Lite.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the first post! :triumphant:

I'll go read up, but the kit with the V2 GPS is the full cost of the V2 above the cheap kit with the lite. I could buy it now or wait and see if I want it later.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
You could. If you do a nice job building it with either controller, and don't bash it up too much, it will have some resale value later.

Have you checked out the Group Build thread for some inspiration??

alaskan

You could. If you do a nice job building it with either controller, and don't bash it up too much, it will have some resale value later.

Have you checked out the Group Build thread for some inspiration??

Yep, I read the entire thing and now I'm plotting what to do for batteries/charging and receiver/transmitter. I ordered the kit from helipal because $350 shipped sounds a lot better than $600 shipped with hundreds of $ left to go before it's flying.

Tahoe Ed

Personally,

I would go with the Phantom 1.1.1. Comes with a Tx, lipo and charger. It also has the Naza V2. Yes it is more expensive but not much and it will be ready to fly out of the box. I gave my son and son-in-law one and they have a lot of fun flying them.

alaskan

My kit came last night and I started unpacking and generally looking things over. It doesn't look like it will take too incredibly long to put together, so it's time to order a radio/transmitter. I simply don't see myself paying $300+ for a big name setup. Is there anything between the Turnigy 9x and $300 setup that I should consider?