can I mix motors / escs ?

dma251

I am currently using 4 old XA 650 v4 motors and 12 amp AKE escs that are well worn but still working on my F450. I just started building a F550 with gimbal, and need to decide what to do with my VERY limited budget.

I can buy two more XA motors and AKE 12 amp escs for about $80 but that leaves me still committed to XA motors, when what I really want is something smoother like Avroto.

Is it possible to purchase two better motors like Tiger or Avroto and appropriate ESCS, and run them on the same system as 4 other motors/escs?

I need a few more months before I can spring for the remaining 4 motors/escs...

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Pretty sure that you could get it to work but to be honest I am doubtful it would fly well and would more likely end in tears, different ESC's would be less of a problem than different motors but I would not recommend it.

Pete

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I am currently using 4 old XA 650 v4 motors and 12 amp AKE escs that are well worn but still working on my F450. I just started building a F550 with gimbal, and need to decide what to do with my VERY limited budget.

I can buy two more XA motors and AKE 12 amp escs for about $80 but that leaves me still committed to XA motors, when what I really want is something smoother like Avroto.

Is it possible to purchase two better motors like Tiger or Avroto and appropriate ESCS, and run them on the same system as 4 other motors/escs?

I need a few more months before I can spring for the remaining 4 motors/escs...

Sure it'll work and you'll be surprised how well it'll work. Leveling the craft is controlled by the software in the flight controllers and if it starts to sway to one side it'll compensate. It does not take POWER readings from each arm before accelerating them to the speed it needs, it just tells them to speed up or slow down and that is it. What does that mean? It means it will for sure work but you WILL get some odd behavior and a full power run in MANUAL MODE will likely result in an out of control craft and a crash. If you keep it in GPS or attitude mode you should be fine, stay away from manual until you have the same motors and props.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I say you just buy All new motors and ESCs or just buy the two. Better than having to buy an arm/props later AND one of those two options