Camera test - Crocalis HD / Extreme Cam HD

Efliernz

Pete
We all know the Gopro is the camera we measure everything against. Well... in walks China with this offering from Chinavasion.

At 190 grams, it's not light and quite a bit bigger than the Gopro, but the 190g is everything. Miniature screen, waterproof case (to 1M) and it has a 1/4" screw mount

It records onto a standard SDHC card at these settings:
1080p 30 + 25fps (142 degree fov)
720p 60, 50, 30 + 25fps (172 degree fov)

It has an AV-out and a mini-HDMI out and includes all cables, several mounting options including a VERY solid tube/bike frame mount and a suction-mount for glass.

I made a quick aluminium mount for under the Mk2 hex and off I went...
This quick test comparing 720p 30 + 60fps and 1080p 30fps (on highest quality setting) on a bright sunny day. No stabilization or filtering was used. My editor struggled with the sound during editing - not the camera. 8G Class 10 SDHC was used.

My impressions after one morings playing...

I really liked the lack of the barrel distortion at 720P. I think 720p/172 deg is useable - far more than the Gopro. The 1/4" standard camera screw mount is awesome! My 5-minute aluminium mount is an example of what you can do quickly when you have a screw mount...

During panning, the image stutters and the stutter was worse on 30fps than 60fps. The forward-flight was good though. One thing that does look awesome is going HDMI out and straight into the big plasma :D All cables come with it too.
I am wondering if recording at "Medium" quality will flow better - I am guessing that the stutter is due to the camera-processor being overworked and it just might be better on M, not H which I used

One strange thing - the sun was really bright (and low in the sky) which occasionally caused a purple vertical line when too close to the lens. You can't put a lens-hood on something that records at 172 degrees!

What I need to test:
Overcast / dark conditions. I am aware it doesn't like the dark already...
Recording on "M" quality.
Faster forward flight. I tried on my Trex700 but the minor jello ruined it...

Pete

A full 24 minute review from the UK is here... [video]http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/9/18/the-crocolis-hd-extreme-cam-longest-review-ever.html[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: