Building an octo to carry a 5ds R. Point me in the right direction please

Lylefk

Aloha,

I'm learning to fly now on an f450 frame I just built and expect it to take months before I'm comfortable enough to fly larger but want to start learning about the various brands and components. I want to build it myself over time and was leaning towards a dji s1000 with the 5d3 gimbal.

I'm wondering (as I was building my f450) what other frame options are out there and how they compare in quality, function and price.

Also, gimbals. The dji one is very limited to a single mediocre lens. What are the other quality gimbals out there, preferably that I could use better/wider glass with? The ability to use more than one lens would be excellent.

Everything else, what brands should I consider? Are there brands that are easy choices, clearly the best in the market? I'm happy to do the research, I'm just not sure where to start.

I would like the ability to fold like the s1000 for transport, other than that I want the same things I imagine everyone wants when they are flying expensive gear...reliability, etc.

Budget at this point isn't in the conversation, I'll make decisions based on the equipment and the value for the money and end up where I end up I suppose.

Any and all tips, suggestions, thoughts, links, information etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Lyle

Lylefk

I believe I have it narrowed down to the Tarot X8. Think the carrying capacity is good enough? Any reason not to?

Thanks!

violetwolf

Aloha Lyle, I didn't know Tarot has an x8 do you have a link?

I'm super happy with my Tarot 810 folding hex, so if it's similar quality it should be a good frame ... But shoot me a link and I'll take a look.

violetwolf

PS I've been flying a Canon 5Dll which makes for a heavy rig on the 810. So I was considering going to an x8 myself. But decided to switch to the Sony a6300 instead as it's 1/2 the weight and twice the resolution... 4K! ... And a darned sight cheaper as well. This allows me to stay with the hex saving even more money and size... Smaller cheaper batteries.. Win / win

I'm absolutely loving the A6300 so far and will be dumping all my Canon gear (except lenses) as I move forward.. Eventually moving up to the A7 series. (Probably mark lll by then lol)

Lylefk

Violet, am I calling it something incorrect? I believe you frequent the thread on rcgroups here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275017&page=45&highlight=violet#post31567819

The A series are nice cameras, I've wondered if it would be worth building a smaller drone and getting an a7r2 just for the drone work. I probably should price it out both ways, I imagine it would be easier to travel with a smaller one as well.

Thanks for any help!

PS I'm also considering the Kraken K130. It's a LOT more money but seems the weight would be a non issue with that one and it fits in the same pelican (tentatively, can't find info on whether it fits or not into the 0370 Pelican with the updated longer landing gear arms).

Lyle

Lylefk

Can you suggest a good website to compare their frames? The online stuff I saw was tough to shop so I ruled them out

Lylefk

I've discovered the gryphon dynamics frames, they are a little cheaper than the Cinestar and break down readily, but perhaps have too many connections etc. they are $999 right now which is a big discount, but then about $800 more for retractable landing gear. The Cinestar is $1900 with landing gear from what I saw.

I think for now I'm going to build a tarot x8 flat octo and do it as inexpensively as is practical and still be decent and safe to fly. This will help me learn and then I can make better decisions about what I need and like instead of relying on the internet to blindly purchase. I've never even seen an mr of this size up close so I'm pretty in the dark.

Thanks,

Lyle

Ti@goo

You can allways look to the quadframe.. Have an X8 and its great, even on the price. And can carry a 5D..

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The Gryphon frames look gorgeous BUT in my experience, they have major problems. On the original frames, resonance appeared to be a big problem, it certainly was on ours which ended up in a flip at 40ft. Shortly after this Gryphon produced reinforcements for the 'quick release' system which wasnt very quick release after that. The new frames have a different locking system so hopefully that has gone but I have heard of about three crashes now where the motor mounts have sheared off (this I have heard 2nd hand so take into this what you will as it is totally unsubstantiated but in my mind there is no smoke without fire etc). These crashes were on higher end systems if I am correct ie carrying things like Alexa Minis and thus using heavy torquey motors. You may be fine if flying a DSLR.

If you want a rock solid frame, then it is hard to beat the Vulcans. Not necassarily the most Gucci looking but will take a lot of punishment, excellent back up etc et. Of course there are others, I hear of good things about Hexacrafter but me personally, I would not go with Gryphon.

Lylefk

I really actually like the look of the Vulcan frames, but it doesn't seem like they pack well. As I live on an island, if it doesn't travel well it will really limit its usefulness. I'm tempted to try out their folding x8 at some point once I'm comfortable flying the octo to see if it's manageable. Thanks for the info on gryphon, matches what I've seen as well. A couple catastrophic crashes but a pretty frame seems to be the general vibe.

Lylefk

Those look pretty nice but they don't appear to break down easily for transport. Really I don't know if that's a big deal, as it seems a little silly to build everything around a feature I'll use 3-5 times a year. I assume you can still remove the arms for travel, it just takes longer and adds an extra set of connectors to each arm, yeah? btw it's just www.rotorsandaerialmedia.com =)