XAircraft Building a Super-X Quad Need Advice.

Av8Chuck

I'm building a moderate lift quad with Super-X with an AUW of ~7 to 10LBS [4.5Kg].

I have built the frame and I have:
4 Avroto 2814-11S
6 5800 4S batteries
4 APC 11 X 4.7 Props

I'm considering:
4 RCTimer HVSK-40A OPTO ESC's http://www.rctimer.com/product_850.html
4 TM 1255 Carbon Fiber 12 X 5.5 Props http://www.rctimer.com/product_926.html

Since I already have the motors and batteries the initial build will be 4S but I might upgrade to the heavy lift Avroto's with 6S but I'm going to start with 4S to see how well it lifts a 3-Axis gimbal and NEX5n.

Id appreciate any input or suggestions regarding what I'm considering.

Thanks

I built a superx quad with Axi 2814 motors with 40 amp Plush esc and found 5s 5300mah and 11x4.7 graupners to work fairly well. It has plenty of power to lift my gopro brushless gimbal for a solid 10 minutes. A couple minutes longer than my 4s 5300mah. Also has FPV gear on board. Not sure about your prop issue. If I didn't have so many of these 2814 motors I would be upgrading to so newer tech, lower KV that could give me longer flight times. Having a blast with this quad though. I am just receiving all of my parts to fly it UHF with 2.4ghz video, so should be even more fun! I say, start with what you have and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

Thanks for the reply.

Aren't the 2814 rated at 4S? If they can take 5S I might try that. Is the performance as different between 4S to 5S as it is from 3S to 4S?

These ESC's have the SimonK Firmware, do you know whether they work with the Super-X?

I have heard the simonk should work. Keep the setting on standard esc.
I know the Avroto are rated 4s. I have run them in the past with 5s without issues and no heat, but usually only run them on 4S. I have also read about Axi 2814/22 are capable of running 5s and again, no issues at all. I run these 5s with confidence.

Aerovideo

I'm thinking of building a SuperX multi as well, but I need to lift a Nex5 with 3 axis gimbal... Probably going to build a hex with a 6s low kv setup but haven't decided what yet. Just waiting to see how Chuck likes the SuperX first ;)

Av8Chuck

Thanks, I'm not sure I can take the pressure. Besides you know how long it takes me to build multi's. The frames done!!

I want to fly an NEX w/gimbal, you don't think that would work with a quad?

I haven't used the Avrotos, but from the specs I would say that is a no go. Best ESCs I have used so far with the SuperX are the TMotor 400hz (or the hobbywings if you want to go on the cheap). The 11x4.7s are probably too small for that much weight and your flight times will suffer flying that heavy. According to the test data on those avrotors, at max thrust you will only be producing 16lbs with 11x4.7s and a 4S battery. You need bigger motors and props if you want to lift 10+lbs for any amount of time safely. I would recommend going to a 6S setup.

To put it into perspective, our X650 Pro uses 11x4.7 APC props and has a max takeoff weight of 3000g (6.6lbs) and runs a 3110 800KV motor on 4S. At 2500g you get about a 15 min flight.

Aerovideo

I have a tarot 810 with the SuperX and a 2-axis brushless gimbal for my Nex and it flys like a champ.

I was looking at the Tarot hex frames as well but was hoping one of the smaller ones like the 680 would be enough to lift my nex and gimbal.

Thanks, I'm not sure I can take the pressure. Besides you know how long it takes me to build multi's. The frames done!!

I want to fly an NEX w/gimbal, you don't think that would work with a quad?

I've got a set of Avroto's on my largest quad and they're paired with APC 12x3.8 props on a 4s battery. They do really well and are awesome but I don't think it's enough to lift a Nex safely. I was going to use it for a Nex but now that I have it and the gimbal I realized it's not going to work. I put a 3 axis GoPro gimbal on there and it works great with that. With a 4500mah 4s I'm at 2600g and fly around safely for 6+ minutes.

Zirt57

One of my setups is a SuperX on a Tarot 680 frame, 5800mah 4s battery and T-motor 2814-11 motors. APC 12x3.8 props and lifting a RCTimer GoPro Gimbal along with the GoPro. I'm getting 16min safely. i.e. still have over 3.3v per cell. My intent is to fly the RCTimer Black ASP 2 Axis NEX gimbal. I have the NEX gimbal. Just have to take the time out to set it up. I love the above setup. It flies exactly like I want it to. You can't ask for much more than that. This video was taken with the above setup. I've since fixed the wobbling of the gimbal. The video is just over 9 min long. I had done some flying on the same battery just before recording this video. Total time was just over 16min when my alarm went off.

Jeff

Av8Chuck

I have a tarot 810 with the SuperX and a 2-axis brushless gimbal for my Nex and it flys like a champ.

Thanks Drew for the responses. I considered the Tarot 810, nice frame but I already have a HEX and a quad, I like how the quad flies better than the Hex so decided to build a medium lift quad and if I need more power either a Y6 or X8.

I haven't used the Avrotos, but from the specs I would say that is a no go. Best ESCs I have used so far with the SuperX are the TMotor 400hz (or the hobbywings if you want to go on the cheap). The 11x4.7s are probably too small for that much weight and your flight times will suffer flying that heavy. According to the test data on those avrotors, at max thrust you will only be producing 16lbs with 11x4.7s and a 4S battery. You need bigger motors and props if you want to lift 10+lbs for any amount of time safely. I would recommend going to a 6S setup.

To put it into perspective, our X650 Pro uses 11x4.7 APC props and has a max takeoff weight of 3000g (6.6lbs) and runs a 3110 800KV motor on 4S. At 2500g you get about a 15 min flight.

On paper all these ESC's appear to be remarkably similar. Depending on which Hobbywings ESC your referring too, the ones that can handle 6S are almost the same price as the T-Motor ESC's and the "cheap" ones only go to 4S. So I guess a better way to ask this question is, does the Super-X work with SimonK firmware flashed ESC's? Any reason to think these [ http://www.rctimer.com/product_850.html ] ESC's won't work?

My HEX AUW is right at 7lbs, I'm pretty sure that this quad should be less than 6lbs so I think I'll give the Avroto's a try with the 12x5.5 CF props.

One of my setups is a SuperX on a Tarot 680 frame, 5800mah 4s battery and T-motor 2814-11 motors. APC 12x3.8 props and lifting a RCTimer GoPro Gimbal along with the GoPro. I'm getting 16min safely. i.e. still have over 3.3v per cell. My intent is to fly the RCTimer Black ASP 2 Axis NEX gimbal. I have the NEX gimbal. Just have to take the time out to set it up. I love the above setup. It flies exactly like I want it to. You can't ask for much more than that. This video was taken with the above setup. I've since fixed the wobbling of the gimbal. The video is just over 9 min long. I had done some flying on the same battery just before recording this video. Total time was just over 16min when my alarm went off.

Jeff

Jeff what's the AUW of the 680? I'd be quite happy with 6 to 8 minutes of flight time.

rwilabee

I am running my Super X with SimonK firmware flashed ESC's and they work great. They are the Afro 30amp versions.

Rich

Zirt57

My HEX AUW is right at 7lbs, I'm pretty sure that this quad should be less than 6lbs so I think I'll give the Avroto's a try with the 12x5.5 CF props.

Jeff what's the AUW of the 680? I'd be quite happy with 6 to 8 minutes of flight time.

My FY680 is 6lbs 13oz. AUW. So basically 7lbs.

Jeff