Building a quadcopter for a project, need some help!

simpaklimp

Hello MultiRotorForums, I am looking to build my own quadcopter (or rather a few and testing different lifting capabilities depending on a few factors). I do have access to a 3D printer and will be using it to print out the "body" of my quadcopter (already have models completed). My current plan for the actual chopper software is rather complicated, and I feel that it is there where I need some help.
I was planning on buying 4 rotors/motors (reccomendations?) that are capable of connecting to some form of box with bluetooth capabilities which will also have accelerometers etc. hooked up to it. This bluetooth box would then connect to an iPhone which is where the actual software would be stored (I know to a lesser extent how to program apps on an iPhone). The chopper would then be controlled from another iPhone on the ground using a wireless 3G connection to the iPhone on the chopper itself.
Even though this sounds very complicated compared to just buying a ready-made quadcopter, stripping the parts and placing it on a 3D printed frame I feel as though my approach has many advantages; As long as the 3G connection is stable (which it is where I live) control of the chopper should be flawless and work at any range, the iPhone itself has many useful gadjets such as GPS tracking, cameras etc which are nice to have.
Do you feel as if this is a good approach to building my own quadcopter or is there a simpler and better way to do it? What I really dont know is what "box" is capable of using a bluetooth connection to an iPhone whilst being able to transmit information back and forth from 4 motors and 3 accelerometers. My budjet on this project is around 100$-300$.
TL;DR: Building my own quadcopter, 100$-300$, have access to 3D-printer, need help on how to do it the best and simplest way.

I am fairly new to Multi Rotors myself and I understand the desire to want to build new and "better" designs.... but i got to say IMHO you are going way to far and over complicated. I think the latency or delay alone over a 3G data connection will be the difference between crashing and controllable flight. I recommend you buy an already proven frame or at least a flight computer such ad Naza or the Andrino if you want a bit of DIY... once you have mastered them and use to the concept of flying and controlling a MR then knock yourself out but I think it will be a long and costly endeavor certainly more than $300.

I'm not certain about the budget issues, but this may actually be possible.

Basically...you're describing an AR.Drone that is carrying its own iPhone controller; that iPhone will, in turn, be driven by another iPhone remotely via a new application that you're planning on writing.

Unfortunately, I think that the very *CHEAPEST* way that you're going to be able to accomplish this is by buying a Parrot AR.Drone (Currently $299.95) and using their already-written flight control software. Then, figure out how to lighten the weight 'til you can carry an iPhone. All you'll need to do then is write an app that allows you to 'drive' the now-airborne iPhone remotely, via cellular 3G.

Keep in mind...3G isn't consistent bandwidth so you'll crash a lot. Even so...it might be able to function at least a bit.

I would suggest first doing a 'feasibility' test...see if you can write an app to 'drive' a remote iPhone via 3G and see if you can get it to run without any lag...If so, buy yourself an AR.Drone and experiment a bit.

Keep in mind...this will NOT be a reliable, aerobatic multirotor aircraft (There are plenty of technical reasons, after all, why no one is attempting to manufacture a device like the one you described). But...it might be an interesting project.