Build or buy?

David1953

This question has probably been asked in the past but I could not find anything recent. Let's assume we all know the pluses and minuses of time and effort, repairs, and self satisfaction of a build and the instant gratification of RTF units.
My question centers around the real costs of a build vs a store bought quad assuming (true in my case) that you have absolutely nothing but a bench when you start.
I want a quad with the capabilities of the Phantom 2+. I don't think I will end up going into the RC hobby culture full force, but others I'm sure thought the same when they started. The DJI 450 ARF seems like a reasonable platform using the NAZA v2 flight controller. From there I have no idea what other components are needed so the build would be similar to the Phantom 2+. For this reason I can't add up the costs of a build to compare it to the retail cost of the Phantom. David

tstrike

pendejo grande
Morning David and welcome! With a phantom you'll have a better chance of reselling it so long as it's not all busted up.
For an F450 build you'll need-
F450
Motors
ESC's
Flight controller (naza?)
Props
Transmitter
Batteries
As well as soldering equipment, bits of wire, heat shrink, possibly bullet connectors, power plug (depends on what's on the business end of your battery. Mostly you'll need the where with all to gather all the right pieces and not get buyers lock with so many choices.

If they had phantoms when I got into this 3 years ago, I would have gone that route and saved lots of time and money. Plus the phantom line has become ubiquitous in the multi rotor world. That means you can pick up parts at your local hobby shop and in most cases your local camera store.
Hope this helps!

DroneHobbiest

Drones are my hobby
If it's your first quad, I would suggest buying it. Just get a cheap one like a Hubsan X4 to learn on and get comfortable with. Then, when you're confident you won't crash as much, building one will really help you get to know the machine you're flying.

David1953

Thanks. I have been flying a Husban X4 for a couple of months. Crashed it at least 200 times, but I have only had to replace lots of props. The prop protector I got didn't fit.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
David,

Thanks for the questions in the first post.....I think it's time we have a thorough "what's in a build" thread so I'll get to work on something along those lines.

Bart

David1953

Thanks Bartman. I'm moderately familiar with computer desktop builds, can compare apples to apples and generally save 30-50% on builds But reading through all the great info you and others have posted has left me unsure that's the case with multi-rotors. David

Bartman

The question comes up a lot, should you build your first heli or buy your first heli?

Build or Buy? Let's break it down into the basics............

Before you attempt to span the void between "DIY or Ready-To-Fly?", you should buy your first heli and it should be a small, ready-to-fly quadcopter that you can use to fly around your apartment, living room, history class, back yard, etc. just to learn the basics of control. Take it out the box, charge it up and start flying the same day you brought it home. Do this before flying anything that is larger, more expensive, took a lot of time to build, etc. but please note: don't attempt to fly in your history class!

Back to the discussion :)

Build or Buy? We're going to help you to decide by asking you a bunch of questions, how you answer should tell you what to do.

Here's the first question

1. Do you have a long term plan or goal?
Are you trying to work your way to a high end multi-rotor application and this is just the first step or are you a curious hobbyist that wants to give multi-rotor helicopters a try? By answering this first question you're laying down the path you should be taking to get there as efficiently as possible.........after all, you don't want to waste a lot of money if you have an ambitious long term goal. If you're just giving it a try then that's a different story and you might enjoy experimenting with different things or you might want to just get flying ASAP without worrying about if your first purchase will have any long term benefit to you as a builder/flyer.
Morale of the story:
Well defined long term goal...build your own and learn the skills to make future builds successful
No long term goal...keep it simple, buy something inexpensive and continue learning what you can with it
No long term goal (2)...take your time, build your own, let the lessons learned help to define future goals
2. How specific are your needs/expectations?
There are some very specific criteria that could be satisfied with a ready-to-fly helicopter purchase but chances are if you have very specific needs then you're going to have to build your own helicopter or pony up the cash and have someone build it for you. Here's the rub though, if you let someone build it for you then you're also likely going to have to let them repair it for you which gets expensive, creates A LOT of downtime, and can jeopardize the success of your long term goals. If your plans are very vague though and you're not sure what you're really going to do once you've figured out how to fly that mini-RTF quad (that I recommend everyone start with) then buying a RTF quad may suit your needs and keep you moving forward.
Moral of the story;
Very specific and coincidentally in line with a RTF product...no brainer, buy it and get to work
Very specific but nothing available...congrats, you're about to embark on a hugely rewarding learning process that will have you doing things you never thought possible, build your own
Not specific...find another RTF that is a step up from your mini-RTF quad trainer, maybe something second hand in the classifieds that hasn't lived a very hard life
Not specific (2)...take your time, build your own, let the lessons learned help to define future goals

3. Are you concerned about the budget?
Money may be no issue for some but for most people the cost will factor into the decision making process. It's possible to build using the cheapest components possible and by doing so you can get a really spectacular rig for a fraction of what name brand parts will cost. Along the way though you may experience shipments that never arrive, delivered parts that are different from what was ordered, delivered parts that are dead-on-arrival, vendors that offer no after-sale support, parts that may be incompatible with other parts, etc., etc., etc.......the good news is if you're not on a schedule or can roll with these types of inconveniences then you might save a lot of money and still make it into the air.
If money is no object though then there are a number of great shops that will build anything you want and even help you to get it flying but it will cost you a lot more for their service.
Somewhere in the middle of these two examples is where most people will find themselves. RTF vs. DIY costs are hard to compare, there are so many factors involved. If you're entire decision is coming down to cost then there's a good chance you're not really sure about your long term goals and/or you're not really sure how specific your needs/expectations are. I guess what I'm trying to say is it shouldn't really come down strictly to cost. Give some more thought to the first two questions above and if all else fails, buy something used that is in good condition and do whatever you have to do to make sure you don't overpay for it. Keep it in good condition and learn what you can with it while continuing to make decisions about what to do next.
Moral of the story;
Cost shouldn't really factor in as much as your answers to the first two questions.
Unsure still? Go back and brainstorm on the first two questions. Post a new thread here at MultiRotorForums.com and discuss your uncertainties with those of us that have already been through it. Surf the classifieds here at MultiRotorForums.com and see if anything looks interesting to you. When all else fails, forget about it for a few days and go learn a new trick with your mini-RTF quad then come back to this thread and start over.
4. Do you have the skills to build a radio controlled multi-rotor helicopter?
Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned as a lot of people have learned what they needed to know and have gone on to build some really successful helicopters. If you absolutely are terrified though of a first build you can always take a look at our GROUP BUILD thread that currently has over 80 thousand views and which has helped a lot of people to complete their first builds successfully.
In the end though, you either want to build your own or, at the very least won't mind building your own, or you just don't want to build your own. If that's the case then everything else to this point is moot and you should buy RTF.
If you've read up to this point and now find that you're conflicted because you think you should build your own but really don't want to then it comes down to money...buy a custom build heli if you and your plans can afford it and can accommodate having to outsource repairs and maintenance. If you don't have the cash to keep the propellers turning then hunker down and get used to the idea that you're going to learn to build multi-rotor helicopters! Welcome to the club in that case! Go directly to the GROUP BUILD thread and get to work reading, learning, ordering, opening, and building!
Moral of the story;
You can build it. If you don't want to then that's a different story but don't spend the money on RTF because you think you can't build it yourself. You won't need a shop full of tools and you won't need a lot of shop space to build even the most capable of DIY rigs.
IMHO, it basically comes down to the questions above.

Keep in mind one more wrinkle worth considering....it is possible that a RTF heli will meet your short term needs while you further refine your long term needs and make decision about how to address them. In this case you should consider solutions to your short term needs that will somehow contribute to your long term needs. A manufacture's product that will meet your short term needs may or may not lead you to a next option that you can grow into. A product that relates to other higher end products may be a better choice, even if it's more expensive, because you will be able to apply more of what you've learned to the higher end product by first using a manufacturer's lower end products.

This was the concept behind my Solo-to-Pro plan of having new users build using my frames (when I was trying to manufacture them) and a Hoverfly Pro controller as the system was extremely easy to learn but could be used on the highest of high end rigs at any point in the future. By using the same flight control system from day one you'd be an advanced user by the time you were an advanced flyer! But Hoverfly has gone the way of the dodo even though they still might have the best "flying" controller out there. The point is, you can build a basic heli with an advanced flight control system and have a lot of tuning and set-up skills in your personal tool box when you're ready to build out that top-shelf helicopter that you'll eventually need.

Did this help? Are you on your way to making better decisions with a better idea of what your long term goals are? Let's discuss it and get you guys off the fence and moving forward!

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

David1953

Ok ! A little more philosophical than I expected, but after reading a couple of times I understand what you are saying. I was asking the wrong question re build vs buy. Thanks for taking the time to answer. David

haha49

My advise is this.

Buy the first one just learning how to fly alone it's allot simpler that way you focus on how to fly and how it works. With building when you crash your unsure if it was you or the craft. Built ones tend to break something like the phantom tends me be built like a rock and can take some serious abuse (crashes) You might break a few things but it tends to be cheap fixs.

For motors if you crash in dirt or sand you might want to check to see if dirt got inside it will cause problems if you don't as dust and dirt builds up inside the motor and creates friction. Which can cause it to fail in flight.

The iris is not bad the Phantom is not bad for starting. It's cheaper if you go with a husband x4 to start and very simple to learn.

noid1037

Quick question in regards to this posting... Im looking for advice on a setup to buy for my kids. I have a Spektrum DX9 transmitter and like using it. If I purchase one of the RTF packages (say helipal.com) that comes with the TX and RX. I would like to use the DX9 and a Spektrum RX replacing the Walkera DEVO 7. Is this a plug and play procedure... yes I would have to setup the Spektrum channels but wondered if anyone would suggest something like this. I have contacted a few companies to see about removing the TX-RX package in a RTF setup and maybe save some money....

I don't want them flying my custom made rigs... I do know about the Bind and Fly quads, just seeing what options are out there to play with.

Thanks guys for the help in all the processes!
Noid

Bartman

noid,

i don't think you'll save very much and it might be better for the kids to have the generic transmitter for a while so they can't ruin your DX9, no?

some of the Blade products will be Bind-and-Fly making them compatible with your DX9 and without an included transmitter.

Not sure about the Walkera.

Bart

noid1037

Thought I would ask about it. I could buy a RTF package for the $300-400 and play with it... I might try it out and will give the results.

MythicBeast

TANSTAAFL...don't energy try!
This question has probably been asked in the past but I could not find anything recent. Let's assume we all know the pluses and minuses of time and effort, repairs, and self satisfaction of a build and the instant gratification of RTF units.
My question centers around the real costs of a build vs a store bought quad assuming (true in my case) that you have absolutely nothing but a bench when you start.
I want a quad with the capabilities of the Phantom 2+. I don't think I will end up going into the RC hobby culture full force, but others I'm sure thought the same when they started. The DJI 450 ARF seems like a reasonable platform using the NAZA v2 flight controller. From there I have no idea what other components are needed so the build would be similar to the Phantom 2+. For this reason I can't add up the costs of a build to compare it to the retail cost of the Phantom. David
Hi David, I'm new to this forum, been involved with Multirotors for a grand total of 7 months so please take any advice from me with a grain of salt.
With that said, it depends on what you enjoy. My first multirotor was a wooden tricopter I built from a kit, purchasing electronics,etc as per the recommendations of the Tricopters producer. I chose to build simply because I enjoy building things AND understanding how they work. I've never looked back. Since then I've built an H-450 from scratch using Baltic birch plywood. My most recent build is a mini 250 carbon frame with personally selected electronics and includes fully autonomous flight capability thanks to the Open Pilot Revolution FC. So if you just want to fly go with an RTF. Whatever you do though, do it safely!

Griff

David1953

After posting this question in February and reading the responses I decided to build a 450. For those pondering the same question, Bartman's response is right on target!
I think that seasoned members of the RC group have probably forgotten how foreign all the verbiage, nominclature, parts, frequencies, etc are to someone totally new to the game. It really is overwhelming for someone with reasonable brainpower and building skills. This forum, along with others, are indispensable for new builders.
With that said, and at times I really had my doubts, I am very happy with the decision to build my own quad copter. David

erxguy

I had a lot of experience in the hobby world before i picked up the original AR Drone years ago, it worked pretty well and was the most stable copter I had seen at that time. Things have come a long way since then, the DJI Inspire 1 is truly unbelievable... check out this footage from Washington's North Cascades Mountain range.

cootertwo

My experience so far: I started with an AR drone, that got me hooked. Then 2 Phantoms, then a hex F550, then a Spektrum DX7s, as I needed more channels, then a DX8, then onto "kits". Long story short, I now have enough stuff to open a hobby shop! Motors, controllers, ESC's, a chit load of lipo's, all different sizes, shapes, parts, parts, and more parts. On my way to the post office, to pick up more parts. I find it VERY addictive, and at 65, I doubt I'll live long enough to know everything I'd like to about all this stuff. I'm running out of memory space!:)o_O