Brushless Gimbal setup (general question) + ARRIS CM2000 for GoPro (specific q)

focus97

Hey all -

I'm only recently in the RC game, having built an f450 with Naza + GPS. Looking to now achieve smooth video with a Gimbal. (Props are all balanced so there's no existing jello, but the pitch/tilt is getting old). I'm looking at this model: http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm2000-gopro-brushless-gimbal.html.

I read that gimbals need their own battery, so I asked HobbyWing and they said yes, I'll need "to prepare one extra 3s battery". I don't want to lug around a 3300-4500 mah battery along with *another* smaller one - is there a way to hook the gimbal into the main battery, and if so does it really consume a lot of power? My sense would be no, given it's just a couple small motors rotating at rates nowhere near the four props.

They also said the gimbal does not plug into the Naza. Since I'm naive with these - how does one hookup the gimbal? Also wanted to ask if anyone knows of or has had experience with this specific gimbal?

Many thanks.

Tomstoy2

The gimbal is new, the first lot went out about a week ago, so taking into account shipping time is should be arriving to the buyers soon. I am waiting for one myself, but this will be time consuming as they build as test the gimbal there. Supposed to come all set up, ready to go. I plan on running power from the main pack using a regulator and lc filter. Regulator will keep the power where it needs to be, the lc filter will keep the power clean. No need to hook up to your fc as it has its own board and sensor board, just supply power.

focus97

Thanks, Tomstoy2. Wondering about the weight of those pieces you describe? Is that a common practice for hooking up gimbals, or is the alternate battery hookup common? Seems I'd like to go your route, which I'm assuming keeps weight far under the addition of a second battery. Any places you can recommend for purchasing the regulator and lc filter? I'm placing my order for the gimbal, and I'd love to purchase these two pieces you refer to as well.

Tomstoy2

Tomstoy2

The lc filter at RCMC is what I use. As for the regulator to control the voltage goes, as HW doesn't give us any information yet as to the amperage requirement, I'm up in the air presently, though I'm sure it will be low. I'm assuming a 3-5A regulator will do the trick, however, my plan, if HW doesn't give a requirement is to hook up a meter when I get mine and see what it needed. The regulator I currently have on my Hexa for my video system is large enough to tap off of, I'm sure, so I'll probably pull off of it in parallel and then just add another lc filter. Why the filter? The 6 motors makes a lot of noise coming thru the main battery tap and I prefer running clean power. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions when I get my gimbal. At another site that I frequent, HW has been very active answering questions for potential customers, like me. That's helped me sway my decision to go with them. I only hope that continues. If not, there are a lot of people here well versed in this sort of thing that will chime in to questions.

focus97

Thanks again, Tomstoy2. HW indicated last week that mine will ship this week. Since I'm assuming yours will arrive first, I'm hoping you'll have details you can share. If you think that lc filter is adequate (but not sure about the regulator), I may just get that from Foxtec to get that shipment going. Definitely eager to get the gimbal going once it arrives.

00glenn

Ive ordered a few of these for my UK shop, the guys seem good to deal with, lots of video and quick to respond to emails.
Please let me know how they go as i dont get mine till June

focus97

Tomstoy2 - in no way am I jealous. Absolutely none.

Ok, yes I am. But 'tis good news about it shipping and about the power requirement. Does 3s translate to within the 3-5A range you posted above? I'm thinking to order a regulator and lc filter now - will that FoxTec link above as well as the RMRC lc filter link do the trick?

Tomstoy2

I kind of have to back up and possibly retract my statement on the regulator and filter,,, maybe. The filter is only good for 1 amp continuous. As they don't list a requirement I need to do a load test and measurement first to determine if the above will work. As an assumption, these motors don't continually spin under load so the amp requirement should be relatively low. Only way I'll know for sure is to hook it up to a 3s battery and take some readings with my multimeter, if their literature does not specify.

focus97

And the plot thickens.... ;)

Just emailed Amy from HW to ask if she or her team has advice for hooking up into the main battery. Not sure if that's been asked of them, but maybe they'll advise on what they'd do.

focus97

"This just in..." {TV news sounds play in the background}

Amy's reply to the questions we're asking in this thread:

Hello, if the battery of your quadcopter is 3S battery, then you can use it the give power supply for the gimbal.
Here i will show the Phantom battery as an example, you just need this cable http://www.hobby-wing.com/cm2000-phantom-connecting-wire.html.

Regards,
Amy

So...easy peasy, it seems. Only tiny problem I see is that the extension shown in the link uses bullet connectors. I'm using the Dean's for my batteries/charger (I believe it's called "Dean's"). Worse bet is I'll have to solder, but not a bad option given the simplicity of that extension/connection.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Yes all you will need is a lead to a 12 volt source by the looks.

My biggest problem is finding a suitable set of legs to use with my CM2000 gimbal on my DJI550, wide enough without being crazy high, the CM2000 only needs about 10cm clearance.

What legs are others using?

Pete

focus97

Great question - I'd love to know about leg options too if users have recommendations. I've searched around but my aim is to get something as light and low as possible. I don't want to add a big cage to the drone.

Tomstoy2

Got my gimbal flying. Running it off my 4s main battery packs thru a regulator at 12 vdc. I don't have an amperage draw yet, however it has not affected my flight time at all. My impression is good. Still working on the best combination if vibration control to get the best results. So far, my tests have shown some sort of damper under the camera is necessary, and the dampers between the plates seem to be too soft, at least for a GP2 camera. When a wind gust hits the frame there is a 'wiggle' in recording. However, these are minor problems easily worked out. As far as roll and tilt goes, it's spot on, even in high wind. It is truly a plug and play system. It comes fully assembled, set-up and tested. My first test was in winds of 16 mph with gusts to 22 mph. Plus, there was a storm moving in and the air was super charged with electricity. Far from ideal conditions, scared me to death after taking off. The results though amazed me!

focus97

Tomstoy2 - Got mine and took a test flight tonight. Immediately remarkable video (I've never flown with a gimbal, and am only 3 mos into this hobby) - smoother footage for an all around better visual experience. Problem is a jitter every now and then. Seems to relate to wind gusts, as you point out, but before the gimbal (and a Naza firmware upgrade) the quad produced smooth, jello-free footage. Wondering what Naza firmware version you're on? I recently did the 3.12 upgrade for their V1 Naza, and I'm wondering if it changed the flight behavior of the quad in a way that warrants going back.

mark.bryant61

Allround Heli Pilot
Right, just received my Arris b.g. All looks good so far, but looking for some advice.
I'm wanting to have manual control over the pitch, but not sure how to connect it to my Naza M. I have Futaba 8fgs with Futaba R6208SB receiver. I'm using s.bus.
Anyone got any ideas on this. I'm not wanting to fry anything or adversely affect the Naza by doing it all wrong. My Naza flies perfectly.
Any help much appreciated
Cheers.

cycoptic

hey there go to rcgroups.com there's a support thread with videos. no need to go through naza you can go straight through the receiver.