Breaking motor mounts like crazy...?

ash811

Hey guys my name is Casey, been working on my Hexa project for over a year now, lots of losses and victories so far, but I'm not sure how to handle this latest problem I'm having. So here's the setup so far:

650mm Y6 Scorpion frame http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...pion_Glass_Fiber_Multi_Rotor_Frame_650mm.html
NTM 28-30 900kv motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._270w_short_shaft_version_USA_warehouse_.html
Turnigy Plus 18a ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ush_18amp_Speed_Controller_US_Warehouse_.html
Slowfly 9x4.7 props
Started with the MultiWii Pro w/ MTK GPS, but after months and months of trying to get it to work properly trashed it for Naza V2
And I'm now using 4s 30C Lipos

The story so far:
Let me start off by saying that I started this hobby for FPV, to help with my want to fly real helicopters. All of the R/C portions that come with the territory do not come very naturally to me so far, it has been a struggle since I'm not really that interested in tinkering or experimenting or constantly working on stuff, I'm just here to fly lol.

Okay now the story so far:
So after months of fighting with that stupid MultiWii Controller I broke down and bought the Naza and for a while all was well in the state of Denmark. One day while FPV'ing through one of the pastures my copter suddenly just fell out of the sky. Upon inspection I found out that the upper rear motor had completely sheared itself off of it's mount! Naturally I just figured this was due to just poor Chinese made motor mounts and decided to just replace the mount, repair the damage and keep going. Once again all was well.

Probably about 40 flight minutes later, the exact same thing happened! Same motor, same mounting point. So convinced it was still just faulty motor mounts, I went and ordered the more expensive carbon fiber motor mounts. It was also at this time I began thinking it could be the motor itself, so I replaced it as well. So new motor and all new carbon fiber motor mounts installed I returned to the skies and once again all was well.

But alas, something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Another crash! This time inspection revealed the culprit to be the upper right motor mount, thus ruling out the possibility of a problem with the mounting point itself. The carbon fiber mount was just sheared right in half! Frustrated I threw the entire heap on the back burner and decided to just sulk and dwell for a few months. After a number of forum searches and many conversations with a controls engineer co-worker of mine, no new ideas can be found.

So looking back on my project the only thing I neglected to do was balance my motors and props. As I understood this wasn't so much a required step for operation, but would alleviate most vibration problems I might experience which I must say, were few in number. My FPV view was absolutely wonderful, the GoPro recordings were just fine, so I never thought it necessary.

This brings me to my question, could these little cheap motors be so out of balance that they can tear themselves off of a perfectly fine carbon fiber mount? I can't imagine it being a torque problem because it seems like that would be most apparent during start ups and not during a low and slow casual flight.

I am about ready just to completely replace the entire drive system of this project, but I'm not looking forward of having to answer the question "with what?".

So I'm finally coming to the professionals for help. My local hobby shop only seems to be interested in selling stuff I don't want. Any ideas? Thanks for the read ya'll ;)

TLDR:
My motor mounts are breaking and I don't know why, could it be motor/prop balancing or a deeper issue?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I am 1005 speculating, but I think you have a combo of a very cheap frame (thin glass) cheap motors (probably not a huge part of the problem, but adding vibration) and I think the big one is Props. Did you balance your props? If not that could be the cause of your issues!

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I'm not really sure how the motors mount to the Y650, but it could be worth a try to strengthen the mounts with a aluminium plate.

FlyGirl

I have a Y650 as well and have never had that problem I'm using 3DR motors and props that are balanced so I suspect that may be your problem Ash....

ash811

Alrighty thank you for the input, I never would've thought that unbalanced props would tear off motor mounts, I figured I would've had bad vibration issues that would've affected my FPV, but I will start working on balancing, and as soon as mother nature decides she is done with all this wet weather I will commence testing, thank you again!