Borrowed idea for GoPro Hack

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Borrowed Idea for a GoPro Hack, but it's still a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dale UK

Good stuff!!

One addition to that vid hack I've seen is to fit a rubber 'o' ring on the back part of lens body to stop moisture etc. from getting between the new lens body and camera front case onto the circuit board inside.

Also, if you're brave enough to do this mod to the newer GoPro2 model - the procedure is a little different (see link below)

Dale

(embedded youtube link seen above thanks to Explorocam explaining to me how to!)

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Good stuff!!

One addition to that vid hack I've seen is to fit a rubber 'o' ring on the back part of lens body to stop moisture etc. from getting between the new lens body and camera front case onto the circuit board inside.

Also, if you're brave enough to do this mod to the newer GoPro2 model - the procedure is a little different (see link below)

Dale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-Uotq37nw&list=PLE0C21932F39FFBE8&index=6&feature=plpp_video

I didn't show this in the video and maybe I should do an update but I put shrink wrap around the lens. Now it looks like it was manufactured this way. The shrink wrap is the ultimate dust guard. When I go to GoPro again I'll jump right to the 3 Black edition.

coreyperez

Hey guys,

Awesome information. I have a Hero (1) and a couple Contour cameras (they went on clearance at the PX when they went out of business). I was about to step up to a Hero 3 for FPV/Gimbal work, but may just swap out the lens on my Hero 1 to give that a go.

THANKS!

Corey

Well,

There is no comparison between the GP3 and GP1.
Yes you could swap out the lens but you are not going to get better quality.
Back-Bone hired me to go down to Mexico and use their Rib Cage on the GP3. I flew with few different lenses on GP and I was pleasantly impressed.

This is really great product and I'm happy they hired me. Stick any lenses you want on a GP3.
www.back-bone.ca

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hey guys,

Awesome information. I have a Hero (1) and a couple Contour cameras (they went on clearance at the PX when they went out of business). I was about to step up to a Hero 3 for FPV/Gimbal work, but may just swap out the lens on my Hero 1 to give that a go.

THANKS!

Corey

corey, for where you're at with everything, the Sunex mod is helpful for making the GP1 a better FPV camera. the 1's lens is so wide that it makes everything look far away and distorted, not horrible for fun video shots but not ideal either for FPV....

there are some cameras available at securitycamera2000.com that work well and are about $45, better ones are closer to $90. I've got the $45 one on the group build F450 that you might have heard of.. :)