BNUCs, to renew or not to renew???

iceman

Are you guys renewing PFAW direct with CAA or going through EuroUSC? I have had a reminder from EuroUSC that my BNUCs is due for renewal (if I want to renew) but obviously this is no longer necessary as you can renew PFAW direct with CAA, are there any benefits of keeping your BNUCs? I have had PFAW for two years now and previously renewed my PFAW with EuroUSC, any and all views greatly appreciated.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I think you have to ask what benefit does having the EuroUSC tick in the box gives you. I know of some operators who have had clients insisting that they show a valid EuroUSC or RPQ ticket despite the fact it is irrelevant. Also if you have any plans to operate across the channel then the EuroUSC ticket MIGHT help. Given that it took then 3 months or there abouts to renew my ticket last year I too am currently debating weather to renew or not.

iceman

I think one my biggest issues is the time they take and talking to others (myself included) they often ask you to make amendments to the OM when you renew, even though it's been previously approved (and accepted by the CAA). I guess we are just in a transitional faze at the moment and the safest bet is just to go with it and renew BNUCs. I guess one question I do have is, currently I have PFAW for the under 7kg class and when I later want to apply for the >7gk class how would I get a flight test at that heavier category if don't renew my BNUCs? Would EuroUSC accept your existing qualification like the CAA do and just charge you for the flight test?

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I thought your BNUC license expired if you don't renew it, and the CAA permission says you need BNUC license? Or have I misunderstood that? What about the insurance?

iceman

The CAA now treat your BNUCs like your driving test or PPL, once you have passed that's it, you have proven you have the necessary skills and experience. EUROUSC only want you to renew for their own financial gain, although if you do operations in other countries you have some benefit in renewing your BNUCs, insurance companies will soon follow the new criteria and only ask to see your current PFAW.

iceman

I should have pointed out that the CAA do require that you have at leat 2hours flight time logged for the past 3 months at renewal if not then this may be another reason to renew your BNUCs

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
That's interesting, I didn't know that or read about it anywhere. It would be great to cut out the yearly BNUC Ops Manual recommended (mandatory) alterations farce. Can you tell me where it says this?

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I see, that's very recent. I read it through and it seems the CAA is asserting itself as the arbiters of who can fly a UAS and what evidence they need to show rather than third parties like BNUC dictating too much, or getting a bit too big for their boots as it were. I can't figure out in the text where it means I don't have to renew my BNUC license anymore though, or is that just implied in the requirements section? I wonder what the people at BNUC, RPQs and RUSTA are saying about it, or how they will reword the need for renewal.

Buzz_Roavr

There is no requirement to renew an NQE membership. If you want to keep the BNUC for business reasons hen you have to renew through them. I think you'll find the other NQE's are being very pragmatic and helpful. There is ICARUS and WhisperCAM now as well as full NQE's.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Do you know how you go about adding a new machine, say if we buy a new DJI Inspire for example when we currently have an S900? Can I just add it to my Ops Manual, or do I need it flight tested through BNUC (or whoever I took my test with) as per usual?

Buzz_Roavr

Your PFAW is now essentially type approved so if you have sub7 (for example) you can add or remove platform to your ops manual as you see fit. Up date your ops manual accordingly but no need to send to the CAA until renewal time. You only need to flight test it through an NQE if they require that to maintain membership of their 'club'. If that is important to you and your business then you'll need to speak to the NQE but it is not a requirement in CAP722.

iceman

As Buzz_Roavr has pointed out, you now have PFAW for sub 7kg for any aircraft from the CAA, if you want to keep renewing your BNUCs you could still do so with your current OM for S900

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
So, I guess the only remaining question, which I guess what this thread is all about, is what is the advantage of remaining with BNUC etc, how or why would it be important to you and your business?

iceman

I have decided to renew my BNUCs for this year and my only rational for this is that it might make the process of flight testing at over 7kg easier (something we may need soon). Otherwise there isn't any real reason to renew your BNUCs if you are work in the UK, there is one requirement that the CAA do ask for and that is that you have a minimum of 2 hours flight time recorded for the last 3 months, if not BNUCs renewal covers you. I also suspect that the CAA will relax the regulations as time goes on, current regs are a bit stiff compared to the risk/risks associated with drones and aerial work.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Just got my CAA PFAW renewed. Mention of specific bodies, BNUC and RPQs, has been removed from section 2 a and replaced with 'a UK National Qualified Entity'. Also, there is no longer a list of our aircraft down near the bottom, which is more in line with what's already been said in this thread, i.e. it covers anything below 7kg.

iceman

This is the thing @RC Flying, you no longer need to renew your qualification to renew PFAW, from now one you can simply renew with CAA direct, which begs the question again, Why renew your BNUC's? BTW, how long did your renewal take?

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Not long at all, it isn't due till 1st August, I sent it two weeks ago thinking it might take a month. This was my 4th renewal.

iceman

This will be our 3rd, sent 10 days ago due end of July. Apparently they have some new staff and the later renewals are going through quicker, fingers crossed.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Just checked, sent mine on Monday 6th, got it back today on the 16th. So pretty much same as you, yours should arrive anytime soon I think.