Blown Foxtech m800 monitor :(

Charlie.

Blown Foxtech m800 monitor :( Advice please?

I bought a foxtech m800 on eBay brand new for £55 delivered. When I received it I plugged it in to the provided AC power supply and it worked perfectly. I then made a cable from the DC input on the monitor to a 2200mah 3S 25C lipo. When I plugged the cable into the monitor and then attached the battery... fizz, fizz, fizz... pop! :(

One of the capacitors exploded and started smoking. I then realised that stupidly I had wired up my cable with the wrong polarity :( I assumed that all DC plugs had positive on the outside and negative on the inside, but the monitor actually has these the other way round!

Now I am stuck with a dilemma, should I send the monitor to my electrician to try and get it repaired, or buy another one from foxtech and have it shipped here in the UK. Do you think that the monitor will be fixable? As soon as I heard the capacitor start fizzing, I unplugged the battery but it was too late and it blew :( Would this have damaged other components too, or do you think that if I got someone to replace the capacitor it might start working again?

I would appreciate any advice as soon as possible, as I am either going to send it to someone for repair or buy a new one.

Thank you,
Charlie

Here are some pictures of the board (taken by my iPad so they aren't the best!) the second one has the capacitor which i saw smoke being expelled from in the centre of the frame. Everything around it looks ok, but I will have to hope the IC hasn't been destroyed!

View attachment 10292
View attachment 10293

I have found the exact replacement capacitors (all the big ones on the board are the same), they are "Chang 220uf 25v -40+105'C.

Any response no matter how insightful would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:

iTolga

Hi,

I bought exactly the same monitor as used from a forum member.

Today I got it,and wired everything up and the monitor works perfectly.
Later I examined the condition of the monitor if it has some scratches or so and I found that the same capacitor is also blown in my monitor. The monitor still works perfectly.
I will replace it immediately!

Is your monitor still working? If not, I think that the fuse is also blown. So you've to replace it also and the monitor should come up again.
Best regards,
iTolga

Charlie.

Hi there,

Yes I fixed the monitor by replacing the cap in the end.

I don't think I tested it with the blown capacitor, seems strange that it isn't necessary from what you're saying.

Thanks, Charlie