BlackMagic 4k

Vortex

Anyone flying the BM4K on a MR and like to comment on your findings??

I have one on the way and anticipate it'll be very good but have seen a few reports of some users experiencing problems with them already

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yeehaanow

I have done a bunch with it. The global shutter and fantastic detail in 4k make it a great aerial camera. The bulk and internal battery are the drawbacks, as well as needing an SDI converter to output to an HDMI or analog downlink. I took it apart to explore the option of making it lighter, but it would only be possible to save about 1.5 lbs, so I didn't think it was worth it.
You'll need a nice solid gimbal that doesn't flex under this kind of load.
I really like the camera in general, but I don't think I'll use it as my regular camera, because it shortens flight times, and most of what I do goes to the web, so a lightweight cam like the GH3 will do just fine, especially now that the brushless gimbals are so good.

Here's my first test. https://vimeo.com/87268951

ary

I like BMCC 4k global shuter, less jerky footage.
But, my main concern its bulky & aerodynamic disaster (when full forward flight/agresive flight). I need to reinforce gimbal arm & redial setting.
I think kineraw mini will be more suitable for aerial shooting. Not as bulky as BMCC, More ergonomic design like EPic but only 1500gr, 4K, global shuter, RAW, 4:2:2
rent BMCC 4k & several test flight will suite you or not

Ary

Anyone flying the BM4K on a MR and like to comment on your findings??

I have one on the way and anticipate it'll be very good but have seen a few reports of some users experiencing problems with them already

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• BMCC 4K With custom Movi Rig.jpg
    BMCC 4K With custom Movi Rig.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 415
  • Black Magic 4K Djarum Super TVC.jpg
    Black Magic 4K Djarum Super TVC.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 310

SoCal Blur

I think the attraction of the Blackmagic is the global shutter, something the Kineraw mini (now the Kinemini) doesn't have. But I do agree that the form factor of the Kinmini is better suited for this application.

Vortex

I like BMCC 4k global shuter, less jerky footage.
But, my main concern its bulky & aerodynamic disaster (when full forward flight/agresive flight). I need to reinforce gimbal arm & redial setting.
I think kineraw mini will be more suitable for aerial shooting. Not as bulky as BMCC, More ergonomic design like EPic but only 1500gr, 4K, global shuter, RAW, 4:2:2
rent BMCC 4k & several test flight will suite you or not

Ary

Thanks for the post and pics Ary, The BM is a bit big and bulky but it's a lot lighter than the Red Epic and a few other camera with what seems to be pretty good performance for the price. One of the attractions is the Global Shutter and another for me is that I can utilize my existing EF mount lenses and don't have to go and buy more.

yeehaanow

Wouldn't that equate to a few minutes of added fight time? Could be the difference between getting and not getting a shot. Beautiful video, by the way.

Thank you! Yes, it could mean a couple more minutes of flying. I didn't think the big hassle to lighten it was worth it though, especially when I need the camera for normal ground shooting also. The screen would need to be detachable, and some buttons duplicated, pretty complicated with 3 ribbon cables going to the screen assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emowillcox

I saw the black magic in the camera shop the other day and impressed to see it mounted on a gimbal.
The full size one looked big in person. Has anyone been trying the pocket sized black magic
Wondered about quality for shooting aerial footage with it and also how it compares to the full size black magic.

yeehaanow

The pocket cinema camera is good. The dynamic range and color is wonderful. The rolling shutter, 3.0 crop factor, short battery life, and odd HDMI output make it difficult.
The original cinema camera is essentially the same thing as the pocket but 5lbs heavier and IMO pointless to fly.