Black Magic Micro Camera

5artist5

Has anyone here got their hands on the Black Magic Micro Camera yet?
I'm very interested in hearing some first hand thoughts on it.

Also what gimbals will work with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

henrysj

Had the Gremsy H3 sitting here unused for almost 2 months waiting for this dam camera to turn up - better be worth it!

jfro

Aerial Fun
I am hope we see them soon. BH Photo says shipping soon although last week they said expected to arrive on Oct 28 if I remember correctly. I've had one on order from a company that I talked to last week and they said most likely I'd see mine in the first shipment as I'm early on the list....

I'm holding off on a new gimbal till I see if I like the camera. I will fly it on my larger gimbal on an x8 to start. If camera lives up to expectations, I will be looking for a lighter gimbal so I can fly the BMMC both on my x8 and a heavy lift quad I own.

Henrysj, will be interested in your H3 / BMMC report. Hope you get yours soon.

I expect there to be more choices for a good gimbal for this camera. Some out now and some new ones in the development stage. Right now, I'm looking at 4 different possibilities for this camera. This is the one time, I'm going for as light a gimbal as I can find so I can get some decent flight time on my quad.....

This is my 3rd order for newly announced Black Magic Cameras, so I'm used to the wait. But I am getting antsy as weather is turning here soon so there won't be as many flying opportunities. I'm hoping we see the first batch this week or early next. Just a guess, but hopefully it will happen soon.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I've been in touch with one of Blackmagic's regional managers, he's slated to be an in-studio guest of "Drone" Radio Live when the Micro starts shipping. We may devote almost the entire hour of the show to his presentation. Last I heard they are still firming up the launch date so if you read anything elsewhere, it ain't true. :)

I'm kinda sorta hoping he forgets to pack the Micro when he goes to leave!

Guess the HDairStudio InfinityMRs will work. I have the InfinityMR, and it is rock solid. Sendt them an email, and I am sure @jakuban will give you a good answer. The customer service at HD Air Studio is superb!

SamaraMedia

Thanks! I currently have a Tarot X6 and thinking about a X8 build. Jakub's gimbal is my first choice for the type of camera I'm going to be using but I haven't committed to buying a GH4, A7 or maybe the new A6300 Sony released, all are good fits to the Infinity MR. Just trying to manage my debt the best I can this year. Would love to see some footage if you have any posted online.

violetwolf

I'm taking a really hard look at the a6300 when it comes out. It should blow the doors off the gh4 for resolution. From memory it uses about twice the sensor surface area that the gh4 does. (In 4k mode)

Tony Northrup has a really good review / comparison on his YouTube channel. Highly recommended viewing :)

Edit: here it is

SamaraMedia

Thanks! The only thing that concerns me is if it will have video out. I asked that ? On B&H forum and they didn't think so but maybe there is a way around it. I like what it offers, the GH4 is a great camera but it's getting a bit old, wonder what Panasonic will offer as a replacement or upgrade, seems pretty quiet in their corner.

I have been working on some productions that will soon be released. When they are released I will post a showreel shot on this setup. I have the showreel ready, but have to wait to publish.

The Producers are all really happy with the stability of the footage. They are high demanding :)

The showreel I have edited is not stabilized in post.

Will post link in the Infinity MR thread as soon as it is released.

fltundra

I'm taking a really hard look at the a6300 when it comes out. It should blow the doors off the gh4 for resolution. From memory it uses about twice the sensor surface area that the gh4 does. (In 4k mode)

Tony Northrup has a really good review / comparison on his YouTube channel. Highly recommended viewing :)

Edit: here it is
520 grams with battery, lens, and memory.:)

violetwolf

Thanks! The only thing that concerns me is if it will have video out. I asked that ? On B&H forum and they didn't think so but maybe there is a way around it. I like what it offers, the GH4 is a great camera but it's getting a bit old, wonder what Panasonic will offer as a replacement or upgrade, seems pretty quiet in their corner.

This is he one thing I'm looking for as well. I think(?) i saw somewhere that it will record uncompressed 4k (4:2:2) through the HDMI out so I think(?) that would suggest the ability to externally monitor. The photos show an HDMI out:

And yes super lightweight 404gr with no lens :)

EDIT: I found this in the specs: Additionally, the camera has the ability to output uncompressed UHD 4K footage over the HDMI port for using an external monitor or recorder. So yes it will do uncompressed 4k out but that may still be a little too much bandwidth for our downlinks?

EDIT 2: I'm fishing around for functionality of the Sony "Multi-Port" as well... It looks like it at least supports shutter trigger and focus (at least on older models) which is nice. And there are adapters for APM :) http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/com...ony-multiport-connectors-using-skysight-mono/

UPDATE 3: I can find cryptic posts around the net that suggest the Sony MultPort Protocol (Which seems fairly standardized across the Sony line) may indeed support Analog Video Out with a hacked cable, but we can't use standard USB mini cables as Sony has a proprietary pinout:

"Re: Sony Multi Terminal Protocol
In reply to Uipe, Oct 2, 2013
Don't bother with a micro usb connector. The multiterminal is a 5 pin microusb connector with 10 extra "sony pins." If wired a certain way it allows the camera to output analog video, some to work with the old LANC protocol, the new sony 2 wire protocol, and/or focus/shutter. The reason why the adapter is so expensive is the company needs to buy Sony's connector at cost, modify it and then hopefully make a few bucks on it. Once third party "multiterm" connectors come out it will be a lot less expensive."

This is all starting to look pretty good.. I guess we will know more as they start to roll out the production models on March 10th :) But I suspect this may be an awesome aerial 4k camera!

PS: Bart maybe we should have a dedicated thread for this camera? Sorry to pollute this thread with all this Sony info.

1454517182000_IMG_582810.jpg

violetwolf

Of course we could just strap on one of these HDMI Mini to Analog converters too. SO, I'm going out on a limb and saying that I'm pretty sure this camera will be coming home to Rick's house in the near future :)

20140311110211-4155.jpg