Align Multicopter Binlagin's M480L X8

binlagin

My highlevel wiring for Pixhawk + APSM install with Futaba receiver... anyone see any problems?

Features:
- Full Pixhawk autopilot system
- Full single operator Gimbal control with follow mode

The APSM will be responsible for single gimbal operator

Edit: Added Arris landing gear controller because APSM will not raise/lower gear without GPS

Attachments

• PIXHAWK-align-combo.jpg
    PIXHAWK-align-combo.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 3,819
Last edited by a moderator:

binlagin

Just finished installing the Pixhawk. I removed my props and ran my motor tests :)

Here she is connected to GCS via USB.

I ran into a few minor issues, but I'll sort those out tonight. I will provide full details and some video once I'm a little further along.

I just read something about the Pixhawk that gave me a great idea. Hopefully will report back tonight about my progress :)

Attachments

• P1080235.jpg
    P1080235.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 435

binlagin

A very quick demo of the Pixhawk autopilot flight controller I installed onto my Align M480L.

I still keep the APS-M on my craft to control the landing gear.

I use the Aux PWM output available on the Pixhawk to connect to the APS-M,

I set the APS-M in "'conventional" mode and connect the RED(channel 1) and channel 7(landing gear) and viola! working landing gear :)

Once I receive my Futaba SBE-1, I should regain some gimbal control as a single operator.

The Pixhawk supports S-BUS out, I just need to figure out how to leverage that and then I won't need any additional hardware to control the APS-M.

mrreddog

very nice, I'm very familiar with APM and love your idea....why have you converted over to pixhawk?? im assuming because of several reported flyaways..?

binlagin

Honestly, there is a few reasons.

I did suffer a Flyaway, however... this was my fault as I forgot to remove the bluetooth unit before taking off. The APSM returned to home and descended within a 1.5m radius of power on location, however the APS-M did not override the failsafe state when I commanded it to on my RC transmitter.

My RC transmiter was still connected to the APS-M and not locked out, as my gimbal was rotating relative to my Gimbal yaw input.

Without data logging, I cannot be sure what happened.

With the Pixhawk I gain a ton of awesome features too :)

binlagin

M480L x8 Pixhawk Auto-tune and GPS position hold demo.

I have 8 full charges now in heavy lift configuration. Next steps are to get the G3 gimbal and LX100 back on the copter, and figure out how to get the landing gear to clear the props

binlagin

Latest round of updates on my M480L X8 conversion:

- Retract extensions installed
- GH-G3 Gimbal with LX100
- Further fine RC tuning
- Gimbal EVA foam dampening mod

Big shout out to Roland Park for the EVA foam mod idea. Let us know what you think of the effects!

Dave_sydney

Love your work man! Is there any way to get the pixhawk operating the gimbal (single operator) without the aps-m or is that essential for single operating?