Big Copter vs Small - Which is more effective

PCMAerial

Hey guys,

I use my rig pretty often. Daily if weather is good on the coast, but atleast every week. In doing so I upgraded to the U3 motors which have waterproof/dustproof casing. Love the motors but they want SO much weight, even with parallel batteries. The rated capacity for a quad is 4kg. I'm closer to 2.5 max. I would love to add more weight. But the dilemma is should I completely switch up the camera/gimbal to have a heavier build, or just keep adding weight with the GoPro/Zenmuse I already have. Why have a heavy lift copter with only a GoPro is what I keep thinking. I don't mind sticking to gopro but could go either way

-Need something to use daily, calls for use often
-Currently on GoPro/Zenmuse and the combo is SMOOTH
-Could use Nex/Gimbal but $$$
-Portability a Plus

What would you do? Do you see a heavy lifter or a medium size gopro rig as more effective for everyday use?

Something daily. 2-3 flights a day, shooting 60% video, 40% photo. Needs to be high quality (GoPro to SLR) No crazy EPIC rigs needed (yet). I've had a F450, 550, s800, Phantom 2. So those options have been experienced all with GoPro. Not bad at all, but as you can see I no longer have them...

Just curious what some would do in this situation

-Thx for reading!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
What are you flying now?

I'm very pleased with my DiscoPro. (To the point of building a second one as backup.) I especially appreciate that the gimbal is integrated into the frame, which makes the whole rig easy to transport.

PCMAerial

What are you flying now?

I'm very pleased with my DiscoPro. (To the point of building a second one as backup.) I especially appreciate that the gimbal is integrated into the frame, which makes the whole rig easy to transport.

Right now I have a custom quad. It's 800mm with carbon fiber booms, G10 center plate, 30a SimonK, and Tmotor U3 power series. After dealing with a Phantom, 550, and the like it feels like a BIG *** quad. I'm kind of torn between loving the power, but also frustrations with the size and huge lifting capacity. I shoot AP with GoPro most of the time (budget calls for it). I would love to switch camera/gimbal but then $$$ is an option. I couldn't fathom a $2500 zenmuse on a $1500 uav. Which is why a GoPro is more versatile 90% for me.

The discoPro has always been a sick looking rig in my opinion. The only thing that kept me away was the gimbal position & options. I REALLY like the footage my Zenmuse gives me. I've done the whole AlexMos and DIY gimbals, they DO work. But man I love the Zenmuse and how easy to use.
Thanks for the insight! Looking up some different Disco builds now. I'm flexible here.