BICOPTER - weight above pivot design

matwelli

got into a bit of a discussion over at RCG over general bicopter setups

the most common is pendulum style, hang the weight below the props, self levels, makes common sense

then theres the OAT system (oblique axis tilt) where they use the gyroscopic forces from the motrs for attitude control, they also need a tail to enable forward flight

then theres me...... carrying on from bottle copter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxNHACgAi5A , decided to have a good crack at the bicopters and see if i can refine things - i am a believer of having the mass over top of the motor pivot point, sort of like balancing a broom stick vertically with your hand, constantly unballanced, but allows a very dynamic control (dosent try to self level during forward flight

go my "build on" today and came up with this....

1 length of 10mm by 800mm carbon tube, and some PLA plastic parts made last nite on the printer

all up weight 697 grams, 400mm motor to motor, and the centre of mass is 55 mm above the motor pivot point.

not happy with the pivot system, fairly sloppy, need a rethink - probably use the 10mm tube as the bearing surface next time, that will also help lower the pivot point, allowing me to make it more compact

as usual the maiden flight and the breeze is getting up - the pool noodle landing gear (i am using it for orientation) dosent help :) as the wind pushes it around

needs tuning, flies ok forwards, but sways a little bit (tuning needs to be worked on) , yaw is fine, and i mixed some roll-yaw to compensate for the prop tourque, it needs to be brought back slightly

Attachments

• SAM_0140.jpg
    SAM_0140.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 351
  • SAM_0141.jpg
    SAM_0141.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 419
  • SAM_0142.jpg
    SAM_0142.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 352
  • SAM_0143.jpg
    SAM_0143.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

In the interest of science..... did a back to back comparison of the above vs below strategy

i wont say anything (yet) interested to hear all your comments

and yes, i put a crash at the start of the vid for those who cant watch to the end :D (damaged the shutter button on the camera ! )

Last edited by a moderator: