Best Nex5 3-Axis Gimbal for the $$

Indeed. I've got the 2 axis, and out the crate the vibe balls are too soft (lots of lateral shudder), and pitch is an utter bastard to tune with a standard Nex5r with 18-50. High pitch, low amplitude vibes (feels like buzzing) destroy any clarity the video has. Getting it balanced was the easy bit - but I just can't get a pitch PID setup to work, after hours of testing. I seriously doubt anyone has got one of these to work beyond 90% stable.

I'm going to try an alexmos controller and hard balls, and if that doesn't work, it's going in the bin.

Edit: If JGrouse posts to Switzerland, I think I might blow some hard-earned on a grousehouse Nex5 + phantom mount when he gets back in the new year :)

Update to my own post: I chucked the martinez, and installed a v2 alexmos. And things improved considerably. There is still a tiny buzzy vibration, but it barely registers on the display, and bench performance of the nex5 is better (cleaner, sharper video). A bit more tuning to get rid of that last tiny buzzing, but now it's rocking and ready for a test flight.

Still fancy the Grouse House next year though ;-)

This looks like a quality bit of kit that's actually been thought out properly. And the clean wiring appeals to my OCD. The support of video out from the Nex is a nice touch; it's good to be able to see how your camera is performing before you shoot 20mins of video, only to find a) the camera wasn't on or b) the gimbal was bouncing around all over the place, even after it tested ok on the bench.

stanleyy

Update to my own post: I chucked the martinez, and installed a v2 alexmos. And things improved considerably. There is still a tiny buzzy vibration, but it barely registers on the display, and bench performance of the nex5 is better (cleaner, sharper video). A bit more tuning to get rid of that last tiny buzzing, but now it's rocking and ready for a test flight.

Still fancy the Grouse House next year though ;-)

John has no issues to post stuff to Europe, so I guess Switzerland will be no problem for him :) But his shop is closed temporarily until January...

MacDougal

I have the same gimbal and need the settings for the control board... What version of software are you using and how to get the pan axis to work (I am using a Futaba 14GS)

I have the same gimbal and need the settings for the control board... What version of software are you using and how to get the pan axis to work (I am using a Futaba 14GS)

The version of software is the simpleBGC 2.3.
It comes with the user manual on the DVD. You can use the radio to control it.