Best Nex5 3-Axis Gimbal for the $$

Sirs2k

Hey guys,

Looked around anywhere but couldn't find much.

What are people using as 3-Axis gimbals for their Nex5 size cameras.
It will be flown on a Tarot690s.
Hopefully it will fit my budget of under $400-$500
If most people build their own, could you point me in the right direction please

Appreciate the help

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
All the “L” bracket NEX gimbals are TURDS. They work great on the ground but suck in the air.
Once prop wash its the camera there is no way you can fly and get good footage.
That “supported on one side” deal works for a go pro because it weighs nothing, as soon as you up the antie and weight that design stinks.
I’ve had two of those type of gimbals sent to me for review and I smashed the last one with a hammer.

You have to find something that supports the camera on both sides and has bearings not just the motor supporting the camera.

Ask Kloner about a gimbal, or check some of the larger RC Rotor’s or Cinestar type gimbals.

Hate to say it, but with gimbals beyond a go pro ya gonna have to spend a few bucks.

Sirs2k

Thanks all,

Is that all there are? We have so many gopro gimbals but unfortunately a handful for Nex size.
Well I just found this which looks very interesting, Alexmos 3 Axis board included.

By the way, which is better, Alexmos or Matinez, OR If you've heard of VR Gimbal board?

Cheers

Teco

Thanks all,

Is that all there are? We have so many gopro gimbals but unfortunately a handful for Nex size.
Well I just found this which looks very interesting, Alexmos 3 Axis board included.

By the way, which is better, Alexmos or Matinez, OR If you've heard of VR Gimbal board?

Cheers

there is another one very nice, but expensive , let me see if o can find it

hexacop

HexaCop
All the “L” bracket NEX gimbals are TURDS. They work great on the ground but suck in the air.
Once prop wash its the camera there is no way you can fly and get good footage.
That “supported on one side” deal works for a go pro because it weighs nothing, as soon as you up the antie and weight that design stinks.
I’ve had two of those type of gimbals sent to me for review and I smashed the last one with a hammer.

You have to find something that supports the camera on both sides and has bearings not just the motor supporting the camera.

Ask Kloner about a gimbal, or check some of the larger RC Rotor’s or Cinestar type gimbals.

Hate to say it, but with gimbals beyond a go pro ya gonna have to spend a few bucks.

I don't agree at all, I have several 'One side supported Gimbals' and all of them works great, but of course are not made in China ;-)
For example:
Any you find several other videos on my youtube channel all made with Gimbals from www.kamkop.de ...

Teco

build your own this is mine, cost me about £400

I agree too, I am building one for my DSLR to put on my octo, also after i finish I will building another one for a sony n6 to fit on my hexa, I got all the tubes and pretty much all the parts.

Sirs2k

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

Hexacop and Biggles, nice videos!

However, which gimbals would you recommend that wouldn't exceed say 650g
and that will still cost around $500 max?

Cheers

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I don't agree at all, I have several 'One side supported Gimbals' and all of them works great, but of course are not made in China ;-)

What size are the motors you are using.

The first gimbal I had had crap motors and was simply a turd and got smashed.
The second I still have, and it seems like it could work, but it seems to get shakes in long forward flight. The rig is properly balanced, and the props are spot on.
The gimbal has a Ipower 5206 on the roll and a 4006 on the pitch. No matter how smooth the tuning and how perfectly the gimbal worked on the ground it had the flight twitch.

If anyone wants to try it, I’ll sell it for $275 +$10 shipping in the US.
Let me know.
View attachment 14327

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 524

Mactadpole

Take a look at the InfinityM (http://shop.hdairstudio.com/index.php?), I didn't see it mentioned here. There is a thread over on RCG and it has received really good reviews. I have been following the thread since the creator started it and I can't recall any serious complaints. I haven't bought one myself but think it is what I might go for in the future. I've just been sitting back and waiting to see if the prices would start to fall but they have only gone up so that also leads me to believe it is pretty good.

remvideo

I have the RCTIMER 3 axis "asp" gimbal and it functions very nicely, it was $350 and included the alex-mos three axis board.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
XproHeli have their NEX/BMPC gimbal coming out soon. I have their XPG Axis GoPro gimbal running on the XP2 Quadcopter that I have built. The great thing is they have created presets for various configurations of camera with filter and FPV cable, all done with an easy to use GUI. I think the NEX/BMPocket Camera 3 Axis gimbal will be just as adaptable.

Ragtime Highlining feat. YogaSlackers at Icy McKay Falls - Extreme Slacklining [url]www.youtube.comTalk about some Icy Cold Slacklining over McKay Falls in Central Oregon. YogaSlackers invited me out to grab some aerial video of them highlining and I've go...[/URL]

Thanks,
Do you any video for us to have a look at, all I can find on youtube is the promo video and you can see there's stabilization applied to that video...

Cheers

Indeed. I've got the 2 axis, and out the crate the vibe balls are too soft (lots of lateral shudder), and pitch is an utter bastard to tune with a standard Nex5r with 18-50. High pitch, low amplitude vibes (feels like buzzing) destroy any clarity the video has. Getting it balanced was the easy bit - but I just can't get a pitch PID setup to work, after hours of testing. I seriously doubt anyone has got one of these to work beyond 90% stable.

I'm going to try an alexmos controller and hard balls, and if that doesn't work, it's going in the bin.

Edit: If JGrouse posts to Switzerland, I think I might blow some hard-earned on a grousehouse Nex5 + phantom mount when he gets back in the new year :)