Best Controller for Newb

gmahan3

I'm looking to get into mutlirotors and would like to purchase a controller that I can grow into. My thought processes is to get a 8C controller that I can start out with on PC simulators to get the hang of the basics while I'm still deciding on which multirotor I want to purchase. And use that controller to grow and learn on and make the transition which I decide to purchase.

dma251

If by controller you mean RC transmitter/receiver - I have been using Spektrum for a few years, and currently am very satisfied with my DX8, however if I could do it again, I would go with an 8-channel futaba system. The reputation of Futaba for FPV just can't be beat. I think for the money, the Hitec Aurora 9 is a pretty sweet system too, but a bit complicated to setup when you're green to the hobby.

Futaba or Spektrum. That's my thoughts on the matter.

gmahan3

Thanks for the info dma. Yes, you deciphered my green speak correctly. I meant radio when I said controller.

But while we are on the topic of controllers. For someone starting out, what FC would you recommend?

Thanks for the info dma. Yes, you deciphered my green speak correctly. I meant radio when I said controller.
But while we are on the topic of controllers. For someone starting out, what FC would you recommend?
Growth is almost entirely going to come in the form of channels. There are plenty of transmitters that do 8 channel, so it's purely taste and preference at that point. If you want to focus on growth, look for one with 12, 14, or 16 channels. The Futaba 8FG supports 14 with lots of programming options, yet still reasonably priced.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Go with the DJI NAZA V2 + the Futaba T8FG Super, then go to Jon Desjardin's excellent setup videos (1 and 2) that will have you up and running correctly in no time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3tu-4UVgg
While the Futaba T8FG is 14 channel, the receiver that is packaged with it is 8 channel. But if you can get it without the Rx, save lot's of money and use the FrySky http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=60
I think you can set it up to use all 14 channels as well.

Keep in mind that many MR flight controller systems have attempted to cram 14 or more functions into an 8 channel configuration so as to gain more market share with those who only have 8 channel or less RC radio systems.

Spectrum RC systems are as good or better but DJI has a special affection for Futaba s.bus functionality and has likely embedded a Futaba s.bus receiver inside of their new DJI A2 Flight controller.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
While I do like my DX18 radio the Futaba's trainer port is easier to use for some Tx add ons such as EZUHF and is easy to power goggles if you want to do that.

The higher end Spektrum radios are a little easier to program than the higher end Futaba but neither is overly difficult.

While a basic 8 channel radio would be enough for a while getting something like the 8FG Super would be a better choice, not because it has more channels but because it has more programming choices.

Pete

dma251

I have only used two different types of flight controllers, the XAircraft stuff and the DJI. I've owned both the DJI Wookong and Naza M, and I absolutely love both. DJI makes a great system for a beginner getting started - the Naza Lite. It has all the features you would want in the beginning, and it's only around $200. If you can afford the $400 for the Naza v2 - go with that as it has more expandability for later.

There are other systems out there, but in the beginning I would go with what has a huge following so there are lots of people out there familiar with it and can help you out. The Naza is very hard to beat. I really like mine.
Good luck! There are lots of people here ready to help you when you need it.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Keep in mind that DJI has over 40,000 posted messages on Multirotor forums whereas the other manufacturers have very few relatively speaking. That suggests that DJI has captured the lions share of the market over and above even MultiKopter from Germany. But within those 40,000 posts you will see complaints as well..... many are valid while many others are bogus. If you follow DJI instructions, carefully, solder and wire properly, and eliminate all sources of vibration etc. and avoid FPV and Bluetooth wireless frequency interference issues you will have no issues or concerns with DJI products...... IMHO.

gmahan3

Wow gents, thanks for all the information and support.

I think I've decided to go with the T8FG Super. I found a classifieds and going to scoop one up for a good price.

Still deciding of FC's the Nazi v2 sounds appealing but once that decision is made I then going to learn more about platforms and building those.

I ordered AeroSim RC to get my feet wet with the 8FG as I learn more about the MR world.

Last edited by a moderator: