Belmont University filmed with our Cinestar 8, Hoverfly Pro, and Radian.

Here's a highlight film from a recent shoot at Belmont University in Nashville:

We shot it with our Cinestar 8 equipped with the Hoverfly Pro and FreeFly Radian. A big thanks to the folks at FreeFly and Hoverfly. Both companies have been very supportive in our efforts to make engaging aerial video. Also, a big thanks to MaxAmps for their huge batteries - we couldn't have pulled off some of these shots without them.

If you have any questions, feel free to comment. It's rainy here near Atlanta, so I'm not out flying today.

Hope you enjoy the video and thanks for watching!
all the best,
Benjamin Rowland
Yonder Blue Films

http://www.freeflysystems.com/
http://www.hoverflytech.com/
https://www.maxamps.com/
http://belmont.edu/

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

ohhh man....Mr. Smooth at his best.

How come you got the RADIAN flying already while we dwarfs are waiting to get our hands on....and let's hear some how you got along with it......and what's about a new Aerial lesson

Chris

That is some really, really good footage! I must say you have this down to an art already.

Quick couple of questions:
Do you fly everything line of site or do you use FPV?
You use to use a hoverfly Gimbal controller why the change? Do you find the radian to be superior?

Once again I really like you work...

Andre

tstrike

pendejo grande
Nice work Ben! How many hours of footage is something like this culled from? I spent some time on a show in Nashville and stayed not to far from that university, gorgeous place.

Answers to a few questions...

We have both the Hoverfly Gimbal board and the Radian system. I was one of the first folks to lay down some cash for the Hoverfly Gimbal. It is a good board. Tabb of FreeFly systems was kind enough to let us try out the Radian system. It is also a good system. Both systems will make a dramatic difference in the amount of useable footage you end up with at the end of the day. You couldn't go wrong with either one. And with future software updates and better gimbals, they'll keep getting better. As we do more flying with each, I'll be able to do a better comparison, but like I said, they're both good systems with solid customer support.

I fly line of sight. I haven't tried the FPV route. I'd like to try FPV with a small quad, but I'd never do FPV when people are nearby with one of these larger systems. Most of our shots have people nearby, so I don't trust FPV enough in that situation. Maybe my opinion will change on this at some point.

The highlight film was cut from just over an hour of footage. Plenty of great shots that didn't make the cut because they were too long or too similar for a short highlight film (I like to keep them brief).

Glad you like the video!

E-Copter

Hi Benjamin,

may i ask you what camera and settings you are using ? The result is spendid !

By checking other posts it seems you have been using the GH2, hacked firmware, but i'm not sure so i ask ?
I flew only with Sony HDR CX 740 so far that gives excellent results but i'm pretty impressed by the quality of your video :)

Best regards,

Fabien

Hi Benjamin,

may i ask you what camera and settings you are using ? The result is spendid !

By checking other posts it seems you have been using the GH2, hacked firmware, but i'm not sure so i ask ?
I flew only with Sony HDR CX 740 so far that gives excellent results but i'm pretty impressed by the quality of your video :)

Best regards,

Fabien

Thanks!

We used a hacked GH2 (orion v4b hack).

Adidas4274

guy the video is amazing as normal. but did you really fly your rig inside that gym over the heads of all those people?

I hope not.... that would be a huge safety concern as I can image that the people in the gym were not consenting participants.

I really hope that was a boom. (please)

you know how much I respect your team's ability.... so it was actually hard to type something critical like this.