TBS does SF

Kilby

I just watched that last night and was thinking of you, Yuri. They took it right downtown and blasted over major tourist spots like Powell street. Lucky they didn't get in trouble!

Kilby

I knew about that time, I was talking about in SF. It seems they crack down on people pretty hard around there. I'm actually surprised they didn't get busted in Las Vegas as well. They were flying FPV right down the strip. Crazy, but fun if you can get away with it I guess.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
They claimed they got permission in NY, I wonder if they were lying. It would cost an arm and a leg to get permission to do what they did. On Gymkhana 5 we barely got a permit and that was only because the city got over a million $ in permit fees.

kloner

Aerial DP
the latest

i thought he was investigated by the faa and they confiscated everything while he was here. it was all one big road trip around america

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
They claimed they got permission in NY, I wonder if they were lying. It would cost an arm and a leg to get permission to do what they did. On Gymkhana 5 we barely got a permit and that was only because the city got over a million $ in permit fees.

I'd love to know more about your shoot. How did they close off so much of SF to avoid cars and peeps in the shots? I imagine TBS did what most new young film makers do, do what they want and if caught, beg forgiveness later. Hell, according to homeland security, we're not even allowed to take pictures of earthen damns here.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'd love to know more about your shoot. How did they close off so much of SF to avoid cars and peeps in the shots? I imagine TBS did what most new young film makers do, do what they want and if caught, beg forgiveness later. Hell, according to homeland security, we're not even allowed to take pictures of earthen damns here.

the short answer to this is money. there were 20 police on every location. barriers, scouts to keep people from shooting as little as possible or at least asking to not post anything. There were many traffic build ups. when they closed the bridge the had ken on Treasure island waiting as the police would let through traffic and then get everything in line like the heli and then the police slowed down traffic as he did a run. The heli couldnt keep up with him the first few runs from what I heard. He was doing 120 mph in a few seconds and the heli wasnt expecting that! other shots were more remote than down town but still in residential areas where the public mostly enjoyed watching him do doughnuts. But if anone needed to do anything or so much as see a garage open, a "BOGEY" was yelled out on the walkies and the whole thing got put on hold. So it did take time and a lot of really good coordinating from the production team. Awesome group of people who really knew their stuff and kept very calm through the whole thing. Then there was the issue of cameras getting in cameras way. there was the main Arri Alexa with a $250k lens that took over the whole street. Thats what you see most of the shots on that are static. So for the heli for example, we had to hide in someones staircase looking through monitors and get it up through the powerlines and over the action before the shot as the other camera guys would get PISSED if we raised up in front of them during a shoot. never a dull moment thats for sure. but as much as that was an experience I would much rather do a chase out in the open. being in SF with wind, people, weird signals everywhere and all the what ifs were just not as much fun as being able to pin the throttle on the heli out in a field. We werent allowed to take video or pics on the shoot but DC did some behind the scenes with us. if i can get ahold of it I will post it. Unless i look horrible :)