Beginners advice from another rookie

RandyWales

Hi DroneVibers...
Having been an avid listener to the Multirotor Podcast for over a year, I am really pleased to see the DroneVibes community website rise into the skies.

I hope it will become THE place to come for drone-related articles, advice and resources for beginners and professionals alike. Good luck to you guys.....

My enthusiasm for drones started off around this time last year when I bought the Blade 350 QX3 AP Combo and the original Dromida Ominus.

My maiden flight on the Blade turned into a bit of a crazy episode because I failed to read the instructions properly and as a result I didn't calibrate the compass correctly. The drone did a high speed circle about five feet off the ground and it nearly resulted in a crash. My heart still skips a beat when I play back my chestcam footage....

There is a lesson here for beginners. Read the manual...until you understand what's going on.

In my defence, the quickguide that I took with me into the field on my maiden flight had an LED flashing sequence instruction error which I think led to my problem.

My flying has improved beyond recognition, especially because I practiced using the Ominus.

I highly recommend beginners to learn using a small low-cost drone.

I've also uploaded a couple of brief Youtube videos of my local area in Wales, UK which I hope you may find interesting.

I still need to improve my post production techniques (I use Magix Movie Edit Pro).

I am torn between purchasing a DJI Inspire as my next machine, or maybe I'll consider the new Yuneec Typhoon H when it's released....

I'll wait a little longer and see what the DroneVibes community has to say on that.

To Erick, Joe and the team...Thanks for everything and....Good luck!

To all you DroneVibers....especially the beginners....enjoy yourselves, but FLY SAFE!

regards
Randall

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
That first video... We've all been there, :eek: that moment when you're sure all is lost. And the feeling you get when it's safely back on the ground. Good to see things going better for you now.

Welcome to drone vibes!

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing the videos. Some good quality aerial video there. Welcome to DroneVibes Randall!

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Nice Randy, I have a few lessons like that to tell you about, I'm sure your heart stopped when your brand new Blade has developed this "mid of its own":) I always enjoy watching the progress of fellow fliers, it is a great hobby. Welcome to Drone Vibes, hope you continue to enjoy the Podcast and great content here. BTW, Me and Erick took the Blade 350 through an ultimate abuse when flying it over frozen Niagara Falls in Arctic blast cold. The poor copter came back covered in ice, but our frozen smiles were priceless. They're pretty sturdy copters.