Beginner build - DJI F550, Taranis, SkyRC, etc...

robthebiff

Hello Everybody!

I'm about to build my first Hexacopter ever and have read around quite a bit on this site and seen some Youtube videos covering a bit of everything from transmitters to frames and gimbals. And I think I have come up with a build that seems to keep me happy for some time and improve my aerial videography.

I need your help / input! Is there something I've missed? Anything that should be changed for another item? Or is this ok to start off with? Are some parts not compatible?

I'm including some of the recent eBay items found to give you a better idea of what I mean.
So here's the plan... (The prices are not exact as some were in Euro and some in Dollars so I simply made a Euro sign for every item.)

Aircraft:
DJI F550 ARF combo with Naza M V2 + GPS 549 €

Transmitter / Receiver:
FrSky Taranis 9XD Transmitter + X8R Receiver 279 €

Battery:
YKS 4S Lipo 10000mAh 25c 131 €

Charger:
SkyRC Lipo 6S balance charger 79 €

Landing Gear:
Highten Landing Gear Kit for F550 25 €

GoPro Gimbal:
Metal Gimbal made for GoPro assembled for F550 (I'd love to go for an H3-3D gimbal later on, but keeping it simple in the beginning while learning to fly.) 53 €

Approx. 1,100 €

Going to buy some extra propellers, nuts and an extra frame to be prepared for the first crash.
I'll keep them in my shopping cart for another 2-3 weeks until I get back home from a trip abroad before I go on a shopping spree. So planning to start my build in early December.
If you have any suggestions, tips or other thoughts please feel free to share! This thread might useful for other people starting out with their first build. Cheers from Sweden!

robthebiff

@robthebiff; Well I'll jump in first just to point out something that bothers me. With a hex build using DJI products, it seems to me that you would want the E600 power system, NOT the E300 (which I currently use on my quad). See link:

http://www.dji.com/product/tuned-propulsion-system

Just saying.

Thanks Gary for your input! I just read the link you sent me and agree with you, that it would be a welcoming upgrade. Great tip!
Did you came across any more pro's and con's of the system? It's nice to hear someone with first-hand experience from using a similar setup.

I might buy the E600 system at the same time and perform the upgrade after some weeks of flying.
As soon as I've built mine and have flown the aircraft for some time, getting a good feel for the aircraft and it's capabilities/limitations I'll build 2 more with my friends as we are a whole bunch wanting to use them with GoPro's.

Mojave

[MENTION=17403]robthebiff[/MENTION]; Well I'll jump in first just to point out something that bothers me. With a hex build using DJI products, it seems to me that you would want the E600 power system, NOT the E300 (which I currently use on my quad). See link:

http://www.dji.com/product/tuned-propulsion-system

Just saying.

Gary - the props that come with the E 600 are 12 inch props they will not fit on a stock DJI F550 build. I think the E300 is a better choice; I have ordered this kit for a rebuild I am doing.

Robin, make sure you do a lot of reading about what you purchase. I like my F550 and use a pair of 6000 mAh 4S batteries. I get about 15 to 17 minutes on them; lugging around an AeroXcraft landing gear set, and a DJI Naza v2 and the old H3-2D gimbal set-up. In my opinion a good set-up to learn on. For me this thread was valuable for to learn about building my F550: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build-DJI-NAZA-F450-Quadcopter!

Good luck with your build!

robthebiff

Gary - the props that come with the E 600 are 12 inch props they will not fit on a stock DJI F550 build. I think the E300 is a better choice; I have ordered this kit for a rebuild I am doing.

Robin, make sure you do a lot of reading about what you purchase. I like my F550 and use a pair of 6000 mAh 4S batteries. I get about 15 to 17 minutes on them; lugging around an AeroXcraft landing gear set, and a DJI Naza v2 and the old H3-2D gimbal set-up. In my opinion a good set-up to learn on. For me this thread was valuable for to learn about building my F550: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build-DJI-NAZA-F450-Quadcopter!

Good luck with your build!

That is a great thread, have read through some of it before but will definitely have a longer look through it later today.
Great to hear about your setup and flight times too!

Have been searching and watching Youtube videos / forum threads about batteries. And the difference between the 3S / 4S, mAh, maximum current etc. And what I've found out so far it's pointing towards a single 4S battery with lots of mAh, hence the YKS 4S 10000mAh found on ebay. But will of course continue my search on battery comparisons up until the day of purchase, so far most people seems to be running Turnigy, Zippy or others sold through Hobbyking. So we'll see which one I end up with.

Keep the suggestions coming and please share your thoughts if you've had a hexa/quadcopter for a while and what you found out to be working / worth upgrading etc.
Thanks for everything so far!

Gary Seven

Rocketman

Hey [MENTION=10204]Mojave[/MENTION]; Really? My bad then. I assumed the E600 was sort of matched/marketed with the F550 (and up) and the E300 at the F450 types. Guess I'm a little confused on this. It just seems to me (gut feeling) the the E300 is way underpowered for a fully loaded F550 (you know, complete aircraft plus camera equipment). So what is the max prop diameter a 550 frame can accommodate, anyhow?

Mojave

Hey [MENTION=10204]Mojave[/MENTION]; Really? My bad then. I assumed the E600 was sort of matched/marketed with the F550 (and up) and the E300 at the F450 types. Guess I'm a little confused on this. It just seems to me (gut feeling) the the E300 is way underpowered for a fully loaded F550 (you know, complete aircraft plus camera equipment). So what is the max prop diameter a 550 frame can accommodate, anyhow?

I have been using 1038 props by DJI. That would be 10 inch with a 3.8 pitch. Might be able to go a bit bigger; but not much with the stock arms. I carefully looked at the E600 - I was thinking the same as you Gary. After reading I saw the 12 inch props, it is not built for arm lengths of the F450 or F550 platforms.

robthebiff

I have came across more information and read reviews, watched more videos etc. And I think I will not go for the F550 anymore and aim for a Tarot 680 pro body instead.
One will probably change it's mind 1000 times before ordering. But it seems like I will be able to get a more capable copter by going for the Tarot instead.

And I will probably try the Sunnysky V3508 380kv motors paired with 12 inch propellers. Any thoughts on this? Are there any more powerful motors for use with 12 " propellers?
The Sunnysky 380kv seems to be getting some great reviews out there.

Sunnysky V3508 380kv

For ESC, my mind is empty. What is good use here?

For battery solution I will now have a 6S Lipo instead, probably around 10000mAh but we'll see about the battery size later on too.
I will order everything in 2 weeks time when I get back from vacation. So please fill me in if you have any suggestions otherwise I will keep on and search for more reviews, forum threads, build logs etc. until the day of purchase.

Thanks for the info Gary by pointing out the possible need for stronger motors!

PCMAerial

SunnySky has good quality motors. I'm not a fan boy, but Tiger Motors have had the best/most reliable products I've used. Also KDE direct makes some amazing motors. As far as ESC's for a hex, I'd stay near 30a or higher on MayTech, Turnigy, Tmotor, or many other great ESC brands. Some will have SimonK firmware for a faster refresh rate. The E300 system is definitely a bit underpowered for a 550. Ran it on a build last year, it will get the copter in the air but she struggles.

I own a few DJI products myself and they are great, but I will say you can find a great motor/esc combination out there with all of the options available. Good luck!