bec and non bec esc confusion

Varney

hey,
watched too many howto's i'm affraid.

on one of the very first vids i saw about multirotor howtos, (cant find the vid right now)
it explained me to connect the esc's to the pdb. then esc to motor and to fc.
That way the esc would give power to both motor and fc. I remember only 1 out of the 4 esc had to have the power wires connected to the fc. for the others only the signal cable was enough.

Then i watched a video here about the naza, and saw it gets its power through the LED, so now i'm not sure how this would work out:

I'm looking into using there rotorgeeks escs (wich come in a set of 3 non bec and 1 bec) with a naza lite.

can anyone please enlighten me on this power distrubtion ?

Rotorfreek

The PDB provides battery voltage to the ESCs directly, which then use this to power the motors. ESCs may also have a 5v regulated output - a BEC. Most electronics run on 5v - including most flight controllers. So in most cases the BEC 5v feed powers the Fc or anything else you need. The BEC of one ESC is enough to power most FCs.

In some cases however, you don't need a BEC - the NAZA V2 for example has a Power management unit which supplies power into the x3 port just like a bec would. All the power pins on a flight controller share a power supply, so you only need one, but more don't hurt.

because DJI Naza V2 had a PMU their E300 ESCs don't have any BECs.

Sent by my thumb, a trusty slave to my crazy mind. The above is the ramblings of a lunatic, and should be treated as such. Terms and conditions apply.