Battery selection suggestion

Mugesh

Hi people!
I am completely new to the multirotor world and I am assembling my first hexacopter now! And it goes like this.
1.Frame - Flame wheel f550
2.Flight controller- Pixhawk
3.ESC - 15A OPTO ESCs
4.Motor- 920kv
I am planning to have a GPS, IMU, camera and and some sonar sensors installed on it.

What will be an ideally good battery for this application? I am planning to get a 4S Lipo 5500 mAh 40C battery.
Will it give me a good flight time?

Is there any math to calculate the flight time that can be obtained approximately?

Also need a suggestion for Rc transmitter and receiver to be used with Pixhawk fc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugesh

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies and time. I am an amateur in Rc flying and this is for an academic project. So no problem of the money here[emoji6].

All your replies helped me a lot. so I planned to just start with plain hex without any system on it and get used to it.

everyday I learn new things about it. And I have this doubt now.

Dji sent a 15 A esc for a motor with 920kv and current amperage of 20 A and max current of 30 A.

Will it not burn my esc??? I am really confused why they sent 15 A esc along with the package.

Also the specs of the motor is not available clearly except for the kv rating. Anyone know full specs of 2212 dji brushless kv motor??

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Anyone know full specs of 2212 dji brushless kv motor??

I never saw the full spec in one place, only a few pieces here and there.

From what I found out, max current is 30 A and max thrust is 1200 gram. That makes sense when compared to the slightly weeker/faster Sunnysky X2212 980kv that max out on 20 A and around 1000 gram of thrust.

Will it not burn my esc??? I am really confused why they sent 15 A esc along with the package.

No, it will not burn your ESCs. It is the ESCs that limit the performance of your motors.

The 15 A ESCs are for the E300 propulsion system. The number 300 means that each motor can lift 300 gram (which would require about 600-700 gram of thrust).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugesh

No, it will not burn your ESCs. It is the ESCs that limit the performance of your motors.

The 15 A ESCs are for the E300 propulsion system. The number 300 means that each motor can lift 300 gram (which would require about 600-700 gram of thrust).

Thanks bud! So I can use the ESCs that I have then. And I decided to go with 4S 5000mAh 40C battery and its amperage is 200 A.
So it should be enough for my hexacopter I guess.
Also I have a doubt on total amperes that will be drawn from the battery by the hex. Will it be only 6*15=90 A (considering the ESCs alone)
or 6*15 + 6*15=180 A (esc+ motor)??

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Also I have a doubt on total amperes that will be drawn from the battery by the hex. Will it be only 6*15=90 A (considering the ESCs alone)
or 6*15 + 6*15=180 A (esc+ motor)??
All current to the motors will go through the ESCs, so a maximum of 90 A total is correct. If you need more than that you will have to consider the size of your battery cables and connectors as well. There is another fresh thread here about melting battery connectors.