Basic Advice For New MR Pilots!!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I thought that I would add this to the beginners forum area after seeing quite a few new starters buying first time equipment that is not going to give them a good experience.

1. Start simple, start cheap, you don't need FPV and a gimbal in your first MR, learn to fly first.

2. Hexes are nice for some things but just get a quad to start with, easy to set up and easy to fly once set up, if you choose a good frame you can add FPV and/or gimbal later, all this gear is evolving at a staggering rate.

3. No an A2 is not a good controller to start with, Naza Lite, CC3D, KK2, MultiWii and a whole big long list of controllers have many out there that can help you to get them setup.

4. Plastic medium/good quality props are the best place to start, Carbon Fibre later on.

5. Buy the best radio you can afford, if you want to buy once then get at least 8 channels.

6. You don't need 40-50-60-70-C LiPo's on a basic starter quad or most bigger heavier quads for that matter, weight is your enemy, a basic quad that weighs 1200-1500 grams will hover on 15-17 amps total if it is setup properly. A 3000mh 30C pack will give you 3x 30C = 90 amps, generally don't go below 25C rating, the packs will be poorer quality.

7. Don't use motors that have a collet adapter or pop off adapter for the prop, balancing will be a nightmare and it will be easy to bent the shaft.

Please feel free to add to this list.

Cheers

Pete

FlyGirl

I thought that I would add this to the beginners forum area after seeing quite a few new starters buying first time equipment that is not going to give them a good experience.

1. Start simple, start cheap, you don't need FPV and a gimbal in your first MR, learn to fly first.

2. Hexes are nice for some things but just get a quad to start with, easy to set up and easy to fly once set up, if you choose a good frame you can add FPV and/or gimbal later, all this gear is evolving at a staggering rate.

3. No an A2 is not a good controller to start with, Naza Lite, CC3D, KK2, MultiWii and a whole big long list of controllers have many out there that can help you to get them setup.

4. Plastic medium/good quality props are the best place to start, Carbon Fibre later on.

5. Buy the best radio you can afford, if you want to buy once then get at least 8 channels.

6. You don't need 40-50-60-70-C LiPo's on a basic starter quad or most bigger heavier quads for that matter, weight is your enemy, a basic quad that weighs 1200-1500 grams will hover on 15-17 amps total if it is setup properly. A 3000mh 30C pack will give you 3x 30C = 90 amps, generally don't go below 25C rating, the packs will be poorer quality.

7. Don't use motors that have a collet adapter or pop off adapter for the prop, balancing will be a nightmare and it will be easy to bent the shaft.

Please feel free to add to this list.

Cheers

Pete

+1 x 100,000 Pete! Excellent advice!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
There is plenty of quite good designs out there, best bet if you are not sure is to come back here and post a link of what you like.

For some getting something like the DJI450 kit is a good choice, easy to build, easy to set up and flies well.

Pete

FlyGirl

There is plenty of quite good designs out there, best bet if you are not sure is to come back here and post a link of what you like.

For some getting something like the DJI450 kit is a good choice, easy to build, easy to set up and flies well.

Pete

Pete, I keep finding myself saying "+1" to all your posts.... LOL! That was my first build and was probably the best purchase I've ever made in RC...

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Thanks mate, I just write it how I see it.

As I said there is heaps of good gear out there and some will wade through and sort out what they need and be very happy with the result, some though need some way to start that requires minimal choices, hey sometimes it is hard to work out what is going to work, but going this way almost guaranties success and I am all for people succeeding first time.

Anyway I am off this morning to do some serious flying with my TBS Disco's to try and get some good footage of some of our local flying spots. Very smoky here at the moment, many bushfires not that far away, the moon was red last night.

Cheers

Pete

jwk72

Would you all have any specific brand/model recommendations for newbies? And what's a "LiPo"?

+1 to what FlyGirl said and if you are new to LiPo's there is one extremely important thing to remember... NEVER EVER fully or over discharge a LiPo battery as it will at best ruin the battery and at worst start a fire that can cause major damage.

jwk72

I'm new to MR but been flying for years and have realized that the "rules" are different even though a lot of the equipment is the same or similar. I've never heard this before and just want to verify what you are talking about so I posted a pic below... Is this the type you are referring to? I've never had issues in the past but again I know things are different. Is it a big issue to use them? If so are different ones available that will work with the Park 480's or are they motor design specific? Can't change motors at this point, I've had too much frustration dealing with esc issues (btw, Eflite "Pro" esc's are not compatible with most MR FC's). Thanks!

View attachment 14285

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382363696.512878.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382363696.512878.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 363

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
jwk, you can use them of course but they can have a fair bit of vibration, multiply that by the number of motors and the vibration levels may end up higher than is ideal, especially is the shaft is long, shortening the shaft can help.

Pete

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Set screw adapters or a bell mounted adapter works best. I used collets on my first tricopter. Ended up having to use wire dampened to get jello free video