bad day for me and my Octo T1000 Ironman

dmetz

OUCH! Sorry to see that....looks like a nice ship. Let us know if you find out more relative to the cause.

SoCal Blur

That's not good. Is that the first time you used the retracts? I'm currently in the process of adding retracts to my T1000.

If you wouldn't mind, I have a few of questions: What is the rating of your battery and how many batteries were you using? How long had you been flying and was there a low battery warning? Also, what is the retract manufacturer?

vrso2

ok, here is all i know for now.

1, check current draw of your retract servos. One i using drawn about 3-5Amps !!! look at this video (i wish, i seen it before i used same BEC for APM, receiver and retract servos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKB_i7S0UA

2, i do use two 5800mAh 6 cells

3, there was no low battery warning, because it was BEC failure caused over drawing by servo motors. I'm using 5 Amp BEC.

4, Yes, its my first time and will newer make that mistake again !!! :)

5, i was flying without retracts no problem day before and this happen on second take off. You can see on video, it happened right after i lowered retracts. It looks like there was high current draw in cut off time.

So, summary after crash:

broken boom, broken top plate holding batteries, APM, receiver and GPS, broken both retract servos (legs survived) and scar on my heart :)

My setup: Frame T1000 ironman, turnegy multistar 5008 340kv,1655 carbon fiber props, turnegy multistar OPTO 45Amp, 2x5800 6 cell, APM pixhawk, FPV 5.6 for pilot and Fatshark for camera man, DIY gimbal, retract landing gear.

vrso2

Were you powering the Pixhawk from the same source as the retracts?[/QUOTE]

yes, that's what caused crash :(

Ronan

So havint a small independant lipo for the retracts + gimbal is better?

Or running the gimbal on the main power unit is fine but not the retracts?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
You don't need independent LiPos, though it is one good solution. What you need is an independent final voltage regulation going into the Pixhawk (or APM, or whatever flight controller). You can have one LiPo, and then use the Power Module to power the Pixhawk, and a BEC for the servos. Or one BEC for the Pixhawk, and another for the servos.

AlienNet

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, i just watched the video, i was think about retracting legs for my Tarot 680 pro, but now i think iil stick with standard Ts, did the bird have much damage,

leor

You don't need independent LiPos, though it is one good solution. What you need is an independent final voltage regulation going into the Pixhawk (or APM, or whatever flight controller). You can have one LiPo, and then use the Power Module to power the Pixhawk, and a BEC for the servos. Or one BEC for the Pixhawk, and another for the servos.
Rob what is your opinion on a good BEC to power other stuff that run on 12v. Finally building an Octo for aerial work and I don't want another battery on board. Mostly talking about leds and FPV

fltundra

Last edited by a moderator:

vrso2

ok, i fixed my Octo and add one more BEC (7amp) for retracts. Just don't forget to have both BEC GND connected together.