AVL58 - Transmission / Reception - Range Issue

Hi Guys,

I'm getting very poor reception from my AVL58 - Approx 100 meters vertical and less horizontal.

I have moved it to the bottom of my rig (F550) to try and improve this but I still get the same result.

Does anyone have any checks or set up suggestions to try and improve it this? Are any of the channels stronger than others?

I have seen some great videos from other users showing me the equipment can get excellent range. But much to my frustration I can seem to achieve this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 519

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey mate. Well, it's not in a bad position. What antennas have you got on your receiver (rx) and what receiver have you got? The rx antennas are the most important. I highly recommend a patch antenna of some sort.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the following...
5.8Ghz FPV Video kit - DJI AVL58 - Tx/Rx - with cloverleafs - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/dji-avl58-video-link-kit
DT7 & DR16 RC System - http://www.dji.com/product/dt7-dr16-rc-system
2.4g bluetooth datalink & ipad ground station - http://www.dji.com/product/2-4g-bluetooth-datalink

Of course I have a Gopro on there too, I have tried turning the wireless off on that but it makes no difference.

I have the DR16 antennas going down the right side of the landing gear and the Datalink antennas going down the right. But I have also tied this with everything on the top deck routing them down the arms. Switched it as I was loosing data link at 100 meters without having the antennas pointing down.

Any help is much appreciated as I just took a actual reading and I am loosing video at 60 meters vertical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Mate,

You might be in a bad area for signal, drop outs will happen sometimes, try changing the channels if you have not done so, Did you ever switch the transmitter on without the antenna plugged in ? keep the receiving end facing the aircraft if you can as much as possible.

Cheshirecat

Also check the crimp connection on the TX antenna where the screw on connector is mounted to the flexible lead.
i use the AVL58 and started getting drop outs and shorter range, until it stopped transmitting completely, i only saw the problem when the antenna fell off the rig completely (on the ground fortunately) since i crimped it back on it has been OK again and luckily it didn't burn out the TX.

Also check the crimp connection on the TX antenna where the screw on connector is mounted to the flexible lead.
i use the AVL58 and started getting drop outs and shorter range, until it stopped transmitting completely, i only saw the problem when the antenna fell off the rig completely (on the ground fortunately) since i crimped it back on it has been OK again and luckily it didn't burn out the TX.

Lucky you didn't burn out the transmitter mate. Ive never had a DJI antenna are the badly built ?
More DJI Quality Control is needed I think across all there products.

I had a similar issue until I figured out I was on the wrong channel on my goggles. I thought the goggles were bad. But my monitor was on channel 8 and the goggles channel 2. Once I switched the goggles to channel 8 they worked perfect. The goggles woukd work for a short distance but not too far.

Thanks Copterstudios, I am embarrassed to say that was exactly my problem. But I swear I had checked that channel before and it was black.

Thanks for everyone's help. Note to self, double check the easy fixes first

Hi Nebuchadnezzar,

I see that you have solved you problem, but I had the same issue and had to scrap the whole system (sell it). I personally have MUCH better success and range with Immersion RC/Fat Shark items, but in the same breathe I know people swear by Boscam. So don't be afraid to dabble with different systems (if you have the cash) and then by the vtxs for the system that works the best for you! :)