AV200 Brushless upgrade.

Booma

Here is my very first test flight with the new AV200 Brushless upgrade from Photohigher.

https://vimeo.com/78403481

Not bad for the first hit out, all the major problems of using the inexpensive Tiger motors and Alex Moss boards to drive large DSLR cameras have been addressed successfully in this upgrade kit.

As I said this was the very first flight, we found a couple of small blips in the roll and were able to isolate the problem to a pan head bolt from the roll cage coming in contact with the outer frame, we filed the pan head down and problem gone !

This is a 3 axis setup using two boards - just as soon as I get some free time over the next week or two I will post some more extensive footage from this rig.

In the meantime here is a heads up - Photohigher have only 60 upgrade kits at this stage so if you want to be upgrading to this level of performance from your standard AV200 then get on the ph or email and get yourself a kit !

View attachment 14503

Peace

Attachments

• AV1.jpg
    AV1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 389

Booma

What is the price of the upgrade ?

I am not sure of the price - best you contact Photohigher directly.

I am sure it is not an expensive upgrade however I believe you source your own motors and Alex Moss boards.

Hope that help ?

iceman

What sort of upgrade is this? No motors or controller. I'm also sure I have seen this video somewhere else months ago.

Booma

What sort of upgrade is this? No motors or controller. I'm also sure I have seen this video somewhere else months ago.

@iceman - in answer to your questions:

1/ This is an upgrade to the PH hardware, the motors need new mounts, they need shafts, the tilt shaft needs support and a bearing otherwise the tilt axis will flutter, there are updated drive mechanisms for all axis, roller drive on the roll replaces the tooth drive, the belt drives on tilt and pan have been upgraded to roller drives [even tho the pic I posted still shows a belt on the pan]. There has been lots of trial and error to get this upgrade right as you might imagine. Regarding the third party hardware - this is all readily available kit, if you like I can link you to Tiger motors and any one of a number of outlets for the Alex Moss boards, but look at it this way - if PH were to supply the motors and boards there would be additional cost to the customer , they would have to import that to NZ pay the taxes and duties and charge a markup on the gear for handling it and keeping it in stock - end result a more expensive end product, I think this way is best for the customer at this point.

2/ The video you saw months ago was one I posted from the same location when PH were looking at an upgrade with the very expensive Maxon motors - these are the motors used in the high end Gimbals and have almost no cogging and a high enough torque to control large DSLR directly, the beauty of this new upgrade is that you can use a cheaper motor as the axis are geared so less torque is required and the cogging is dealt with by the gearing effectively giving the motors a greater resolution.

I think there is a real place in the market for this gimbal, for sure it will be more limited than the full blown systems emerging like the Movi and Photohighers own Halo system but it will be a fraction of the cost. Personally if I get a good solid performance from it I would rather fly with this that a 10 - 15 K alternative.

It may not be for you ? Who knows, but I can guarantee you there is a lot of interest in a gimbal that will handle large DSLR or BMCC at this price range, and as I said in my post this is a heads up - they have only 60 kits in stock ATM.

Peace

Booma

Thank for taking the time explain but what is included in the PH upgrade?

No worries ; )

With the upgrade I guess it depends on if you require 2 or 3 axis, if you are interested please contact them directly, I dont work for them, I just help them with flight testing as I live in the same town and run four or five MR.

As the original AV200 handles the epic and F55 with ease... Do you think I will lose that ability upgrading to a brushless av200?

Booma

As the original AV200 handles the epic and F55 with ease... Do you think I will lose that ability upgrading to a brushless av200?

That is an interesting question. short answer is I don't know for sure because those configurations have not been tested yet.

I do know this - I am running that test gimbal on 3S and I have not set full power to the motors in the GUI, I believe you can run the Alex Moss boards up to 5S so you can assume there is plenty of power overhead available.

If you are particular about your CG then there is potential for good outcomes. To get my CG on this rig I had to disengage the motors to find the sweet spot and drill a custom hole in the camera tray to accommodate to exact CG. Not nearly as easy as the fullblown systems for sure.