Autonomous surveilance system for ranch

TheDude

I own a 500 acre ranch in Utah. I would like to build a 'guard drone' system that monitors the perimeter. I envision using sensors that when activated causes the drone to do a fly over showing video. I also envision a system that sends a drone around the perimeter at preprogrammed intervals moving from waypoint to waypoint. I would also like the option to drop a road flare from the drone incorporating an ignition means that ignites when hitting the ground that I have invented. I'm also curious about how accurate a multirotor can land at a waypoint?

Does anyone out there have the schema for accomplishing the aforementioned intentions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Having your system go to waypoints and show a video is easy. Having it do anything else automatically is hard. You could easily have a flying camera that automatically flies around looking at things, that's just a waypoint system with a video transmitter attached. Having software to analyse images would be very expensive I imagine. You can manually release your flares with a switch but it would require you to look at the video and decide you want to do that.

Just for starters...

RotoTwit

You and many others would love this kind of setup. I assume you know this would be very expensive as it does not exist yet, not even for border patrol I believe. I suspect it is completely doable but you would have to hire experts to build/configure this. Simply putting smart sensors that trigger at appropriate places is non trivial. A fun project for a couple good engineers w/time!! You would have to get a Canadian company to do this - FAA prevents US companys from doing this sort of thing (takes a year+ to get FAA waivers!!) - except for the military/police/BP. (or a hobbyist)

You should commercialize this system once you get it working! ;) If the 'slow as a dead dog' FAA ever get around to rule/law making!! US companies are getting killed by FAA dragging their feet on this - Canada, UK, EU nations are more free to do commercial work in this arena - Sad, FAA twits!

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ4CCH

you could ardupilot.... it flies via waypoints ect... all you need is to figure out them flares. I could imagine using a circuit to use model rocket lighters would not be too hard. shoot if you know C code, you might be able to program a payload with ardunio.

flares may be a little dangerous, (to your craft) accidental bump or crash might set it off burning your poor machine.

TheDude

Excellent! I'm new to all this. By "ardupilot" do you meant to preset gps waypoints and have the craft just follow them? The flares I expect to weight the ignition end of the flare and then incorporate 50 caliber primers to powder to ignition.