Australia Road Trip

xahhax

We are about to go to Australia, 3 weeks road trip.
I am taking a F550 with a zenmuse & gopro. Nothing special (except the huge pelican case and extra luggage fee I am paying..).
Anything I need to know flying drones in Australia?
Nothing urban intended / only landscapes / coastal etc.

Many thanks!

dazzab

Just follow the basic rules of not flying within 30 meters of people/structures, stay under 400 ft and away from airports. Don't do anything commercial and use common sense. Just like the US people here are getting more and more paranoid about privacy so be prepared for that. If you get anywhere near Canberra (the capital city) let me know and I'll buy you a coffee. I'm from California but have lived in Australia for the last 25 years or so.

xahhax

Thanks a lot that helps! I plan to stay exactly within those limits - glad to hear there is nothing more restrictive than those.
Thanks for the coffee...unfortunately we don't plan Canberra. Australia is such a HUGE country it was very difficult to make the most of out of 3 weeks already!

dazzab

And from a technical point of view, I would recalibrate your compass given how far you are traveling on the planet. Have fun, if you need any translations I'm your guy. :)

Vortex

If you're planning to stop in Cairns, let me know, there's free coffee here also :)

Regards,

Lance

Old Man

Keep an eye out for spiders and snakes. Oz has some of the most lethal of both in the world. Oh, don't try to pet the Joeys...

xahhax

for now we only saw lizard and free roaming parrots (which is always so surprising...) - nothing dangerous (yet!)

dazzab

Have you had a chance to do any flying yet?

If you are driving on country roads do get used to scanning the sides the road ahead for roos and wombats. They are down right suicidal and love to jump out in front of cars.

xahhax

Came back. We took the drone in a 1630 Pelican case. Not a single question on what it was or lips etc. Took 6 flights.
We flew near 12 apostles (Victoria) and King's Canyon (NT). I have over 1200 RC flights and not once I had a lipo cell fail on me.
And yet this is what happened during a flight where I took the drone deep in a gorge. The 4S lipo dropped a cell which made the NKM think the voltage was too low and it forced a landing in a tree...Minor plastic part damage (landing gear but more important the cheap support to the zenmuse)...and of course in the middle of nowhere I had to stop flying. It was a great experience. BUT.
DON'T BUY CHEAP LIPOS....