ARRIS ZHAOYUN Brushless Gimbal

Søren Koch

[h=5]Recived my new ARRIS ZHAOYUN Brushless Gimbal yesterday and have just finished the mounting on the Sky-Hero Spy 600. It preforms perfect and I´m very happy about the setup. Have ordered 20mm carbon tube for 5 cm extension af the landing gear.

6 X AXI 2814/22
6 X 12" Carbon Probs
2 X 5200 mHa Batteries.
[/h]View attachment 13601

Attachments

• Sky-Hero_Spy-600_ARRIS-ZHAOYUN-Brushless-Gimbal.jpg
    Sky-Hero_Spy-600_ARRIS-ZHAOYUN-Brushless-Gimbal.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 785

Kolb

I was looking at this one as well, it does seem to have no space for a HDMI cable though... That and the lack of communication skills from the company making these.

Søren Koch

It has space for the HDMI cable and i find the software very nice with lors of coustom settings. The main Reason was that it's so compact.

Søren Koch

I will upload some inflight video.
I´m very happy with the setup and I have just created an new attachment plate for the Sky_Hero. I took the one that comes with the frame and combined it with one I have created for the batteries and the top plate for the ARRIS Gimbal.
Here is a picture that shows what I ended up with, ready to be attached to the main frame :). Its nice to get rid of
all the screws that was holding the different plates together.

Best regards.

Søren
View attachment 13629

Attachments

• SKY_HER_Coustom_PLate.jpg
    SKY_HER_Coustom_PLate.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 852

Cuba59

those videos look very nice but I don't understand, how can one adjust COG on pitch axis.. (vertically/horizontally)

thats a good question. this gimbal is only suitable for the pancake lens. so it doesnt make any sense if you cannot switch to better lenses

mediaguru

Got my Zhaoyun installed on my Tarot T960 last night. The supplied plate isn't quite wide enough so each ring only has one screw. May order the new plate. I have yet to wire it up yet. I don't have a NEX camera so I put my Canon S95 in for fun. We will see what happens.
View attachment 19161

Attachments

• 20140714_214140.jpg
    20140714_214140.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 508

mediaguru

Alright I've had my first in-air test of the Zhaoyun. The video is completely bad. No jello but completely bouncing all over the place, mostly up and down it seems. I can post a clip if that would help anyone with a diagnosis. Here's the setup.

I've put a Canon S95 in the Zhaoyun since I don't have a NEX7 or 5 yet. When I put the camera in, I make sure it balances center, however it is leaning back since it is a bit heavy to the back side.

I've got the gimbal on a Tarot T960, forward on the rails with the batteries back on the rails to balance it out. That's cool. All balanced there. I can set the bird up on the cross/middle arms and it will balance that way.

I think perhaps the PID's and motor power levels are way too high since this is a smaller camera and the gimbal was pre-tuned for a NEX. The gimbal is making quite a bit of noise and vibrating.

Any advice is appreciated.

mediaguru

Forget the last post. The gimbal is made for the NEX. Now I've got one and it is MUCH better, but still some vibrations. No jello.

The 16-50 lens my NEX5-T came with makes the camera fall forward so it isn't balanced on the gimbal. The gimbal seems to handle it, but I wonder if that would help reduce the vibes if it was perfectly balanced. I'm not sure how I would counterbalance the lens.

Søren Koch

I have experienced the same problems with the video jumps up and down. I solved it by using some hard viberations dampers and set the PID very accurately. I fly with both sony 16mm and with voigtlaender 15mm. I use two different profiles as 15mm is much heavier than the Sony 16mm. The gimbal can easily handle the camera is heaviest in the front if PID's is right. I realize that it's best if it's all in ballance and consider modifying the gimbal so I can move the CG.

I have attached a picture of how I mounted gimbal on my cloud hero.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• foto 1.jpg
    foto 1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 434
  • foto 2.jpg
    foto 2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 418

mediaguru

And here is some inflight video:

Password: hero_12

Solid looking bird. Compact but still a hex. I like it. Thanks for the response.

Question for you: I've been tweaking the PID's, mainly lowering them which helped along with the softer dampening balls. But you suggest the harder ones and more precise PIDs... I know yours will not be a perfect match, but can you post a screen cap of your PIDS for the NEX? I'm just wondering how close I am. I may be way off.

Also I've been testing manual mode for video and certainly the shutter speed, ISO and aperture setting makes a big difference in the video quality. What do you do there?

Lastly on the NEX I think I may try manual focus as it seems that the light vibrations are fooling the camera into changing focus points. But working the camera and checking focus etc is difficult when it is mounted to the gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Søren Koch

Solid looking bird. Compact but still a hex. I like it. Thanks for the response.

Question for you: I've been tweaking the PID's, mainly lowering them which helped along with the softer dampening balls. But you suggest the harder ones and more precise PIDs... I know yours will not be a perfect match, but can you post a screen cap of your PIDS for the NEX? I'm just wondering how close I am. I may be way off.

Also I've been testing manual mode for video and certainly the shutter speed, ISO and aperture setting makes a big difference in the video quality. What do you do there?

Lastly on the NEX I think I may try manual focus as it seems that the light vibrations are fooling the camera into changing focus points. But working the camera and checking focus etc is difficult when it is mounted to the gimbal.

Here is a print screen of my settings, I use the latest firmware v2.40b7
attachment.php

I always use manual mode for video, or aperture priority if the light changes a lot. I always use M focus, the sony 16mm can be a pain in the a.. to focus. I have taped the focusring to the lens housing and take a picture of something at infinity range on AF, the switch to M focus before i attached the camera to the gimbal. Hope this will help you get the results you are looking for.

Attachments

• psc.jpg
    psc.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 485